More on Windows based tablets

Options

So, I like 1 password, I really do but let me say that I am unhappy with the way it integrates with IE and Windows 8.1

As I mentioned in a previous post, we have a business with 9 employees using 2 desktops, 2 laptops and a Surface Pro II. I L-O-V-E the way 1 password works on the laptops and desktops when surfing with Firefox, but I all but gave up even trying to use it in IE: the shortcut is bothersome and works about 75% of the time and getting the stupid key icon to appear where it is supposed to be is a nightmare in IE.

So we COULD stick to Firefox and forget about it EXCEPT for the fact that the Surface has some nice integration between the home screen (Windows 8 feature) and IE. We use the Surface as a mobile line buster and problem solver: we take it out to the sales floor with us and interact directly with the customers without having to take them back to a fixed computer station.

That being said, anything we can do to shorten access times is of great use. When we need to access a frequently used website, we create and 'app' that can be pinned to the home screen and accessed with a single touch of an icon. Trouble is, when we do that, it launches IE in 'enhanced' mode and the 1 password shortcut doesn't work (not to mention the task bar is not present in this mode) so we have to revert to using Firefox, which does NOT support the creation of a home screen 'app'.

It would be great if you folks could start looking into these issues as I suspect that tablet and touchscreen use (in Windows 8) is something that will only become more and more prevalent in the near future.

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions or any experience with how to get around these problems with Surface/Windows 8 interface, browser quirks and 1 password interaction, I would be greatly appreciative.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

We've done a little bit of very basic testing on Windows tablets, and that limited testing has been done with 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development.

I installed it on a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1 and confirmed that it works as expected, but only in Desktop mode.

I was using Chrome, which I had to configure to default to Desktop mode, too.

Note, too, that one of the underlying elements of 1Password seems to disrupt the behavior of the on-screen handwriting “keyboard” in ways we do not yet understand. One of our awesome customers found a way around that, which is documented in our forum for folks using the beta software.

If you're interested, you can join the thousands of people already working with 1Password 4 for Windows by signing up for the beta program here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

Once 1Password 4 for Windows passes the beta development phase, we hope to allocate more resources to tablet testing, but you'll find a few tablet users in the forum already. We'd welcome your feedback there, if you decide to make the switch.

• CaesarCovi
    CaesarCovi
    Community Member
    Options

OK, it sounds like, between this lack of functionality with tablets and the way your family licensing works, 1 Password is simply not suited for our needs: how do I go about getting my money back?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Please write us at support@agilebits.com (or use the contact us link, and we'll be happy to help you.

Thanks, @CaesarCovi‌!

• CaesarCovi
    CaesarCovi
    Community Member
    Options

We decided to stick with it - but really unhappy about how 1 Password functions on the Surface II Pro - we ended up installing FireFox and calling it a day...

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @CaesarCovi,

Thanks for sticking with us. We'll keep improving the 1Password experience on Surface Pros.

This discussion has been closed.