Does 1Password 4 for Windows use 256-bit AES encryption?

Options

I found manula.com/manuals/agilebits/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/security-overview but I wasn't sure if it was specific to Windows.

1P 4 is fantastic, thank you! :)

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Our new database format (aka opvault) uses AES-256. Our old database format (aka agilekeychain) uses AES-128.

• ShawnR
    ShawnR
    Community Member
    Options

Pardon my ignorance, so 1P 4 (which I'm running now) uses the new 256 opvault? However, I still have agilekeychain files in my Dropbox folder, so does this mean my vault is using the older encryption? I upgraded from 1 to 4, so this would make sense. If I wanted to use AES-256, wouldn't this require rebuilding my existing vault in Dropbox?

Thanks, svondutch.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No, 1Password 4 does not yet default to the new .opvault format, though you can specify that when you create a new vault.

if you want to use the .opvault format, you could export all items in your current .agilekeychain format vault to 1PIF, create a new .opvault format vault, and import the .1pif file into that new vault.

The process and the format are unrelated to whether you're using Dropbox to sync your data (other than the fact that the 1Password for Windows Phone "reader" app doesn't read or write .opvault data).

• ShawnR
    ShawnR
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the reply.

I am successfully using the .opvault format in my vault. However, after importing the .1pif file into the new vault, I notice that the program is slower than normal opening the vault and switching to the login category from another. Switching from 'Secure Notes' to 'Logins' (134 items), for instance, takes about 11 seconds. I then tested this with a .agilekeychain format vault and it took the normal amount of time. This delay is something I can live with, and I assume it's the result of using stronger encryption.

Also, is there a way to download all login icons in one shot?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

As I understand it, 1Password for Windows "has not been optimized for .opvault", and speed will be noticeably better when that work has been completed (in an as yet unspecified update).

As for icons, try File > Download Icons.

• ShawnR
    ShawnR
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, I will await an optimization update. I've also seen some rogue error messages when navigating my logins. For now I'll stick with the older format, but it is good to know that version 4 will have support for .opvault. If there are any diagnostic reports you need from my system, let me know.

Thanks again!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to be clear, 1Password 4 for Windows already does include support for .opvault; a future version will improve performance when using that format.

This discussion has been closed.