Changing Master Password problems

Options

I have changed my master password on my windows PC. It has also automatically changed on my other windows PCs. But not on the iPad or iPhone. Hunting through the data I found on the agilebits website the following, under Changing Master Password at http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/change_master_password.html :

"If you are using Dropbox syncing within any of our 1Password mobile apps you will need to update their saved Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account > Password value to use this same new Master Password."

But when I go to the iPad under 1Password, I can only get to Settings/Sync Service/Dropbox,. and that is all - no account no password value. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?.

Currently, my pc's use the new password, and the ipad (and presumably the iPhone) use the old password, but they all sync quite happily???

Any suggestions as to what I should do now?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What version of 1Password for iOS are you running? I believe version 4.5 should sync your master password:

• hdsoawhdhagf
    hdsoawhdhagf
    Community Member
    Options

Hi svondutch,

I am using 1Password 3.9.21.90. I have not upgraded to 1Password 4 as I am not sure if it will run on a Vista machine and sync with my Windows 7 machine. Maybe I should just change the master password on the iPad and the iPhone to the new password, but I am wondering why when I have two different passwords (the new one for the pcs, and the old one for the i devices), that they still sync quite happily.

• MikeT
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @hdsoawhdhagf‌,

That 3.9.21.90 version is for the extension you're using. You meant 1Password 1.0.9.341 as that is the desktop version. Both extension and the app can have different versioning system.

1Password 4 will run on Vista but we do not officially support Vista. We only test against Windows 7 and 8. We've seen users running 1Password 4 on Vista with almost no side effects.

but I am wondering why when I have two different passwords (the new one for the pcs, and the old one for the i devices), that they still sync quite happily.

The main reason you can have two separate passwords is that in 1Password 4 on iOS and Mac platforms, we have two separate data stores: one for internal use and a second one used for syncing.

1Password 4 on your iOS devices has an internal database with its own encryption keys, the keys are derived from your master password. When you sync, the remote database with its own encryption keys is downloaded onto the device alongside the local database. After that, 1Password 4 will then sync between the remote and local databases.

On Windows, we read your database directly, so changing your master password on iOS devices or other platforms will immediately change the master password on Windows.

Now, what 1Password 4 for iOS did with the encryption keys depended on which versions of 1Password 4 of iOS you were using at the time.

In recent versions of the iOS and Mac apps, we've added support to sync your encryption keys across. In other words, 1Password will add the remote database's encryption keys into the local database and update the local keys. This will cause the master password to be updated for the local database.

In the original versions of 1Password 4 for Mac and iOS, when the app detected that the remote encryption keys were different from the local keys, it would then ask you to unlock the remote database with your newer master password that you just changed. This action would unlock the encryption keys and we then copied it over into the local database (not updating the local keys). So, in addition to the local keys, we used the extra keys to unlock the remote database for each successive sync afterward. We don't do this anymore, so changing your master password will now sync your encryption keys to keep them in sync.

Note, this is a basic summary but it does do more in the background.

This discussion has been closed.