2nd computer with Family License won't unlock existing vaults, v4, iOS new problem, too

Options

I'm an experienced Mac user, not as proficient with Windows. I've happily used 1Password for Mac for over a decade and sync to Dropbox. I originally bought 1Password for Windows in Nov 2011 and then installed it on my Mac under Parallels Desktop (PDT) virtualization of Windows 7. I never really used it and never enabled sync. Recently, my wife got a Toshiba Windows notebook running Windows 7, so I installed the old 1Password for Windows on it, creating secondary vault for her, then deleted it from Mac/PDT. Yesterday, I upgraded to the new 1Password 4 for Windows on the Toshiba, bought 1Password 4 for Windows Family license, so I could also install on my Mac/PDT. Got it working with Dropbox sync on Toshiba. Then, installed on Mac/PDT, installed Dropbox, which created Dropbox and Dropbox (old) folders on Mac/PDT. 1Password folder with both Vaults appears in Dropbox. PROBLEM is that 1Password vault on Mac/PDT won't accept either Primary or Secondary vault password. No problem on Toshiba or on 1Password 4 for Mac. However, latest 1Password iOS for iPhone suddenly can't find Dropbox file, too. Suggestions for a novice Windows user? If needed, I could restore my entire 80 GB Windows 7 disk image under PDT on the Mac, to roll things back in time. Keep up the great work, Agile guys! Wish you would update Knox!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's a little hard to picture, @MacPass, but generally you need to make sure the full path and filename of the vault (the .agilekeychain folder) is exactly the same on every machine on which you wish to be using the synced vault.

It sounds like everything is working as expected except on the Parallels virtual machine, so especially on that computer make sure you're using the correct Dropbox root folder (Dropbox or Dropbox (old)?) and the correct vault.

Once we get that working as desired, we can get one of the 1Password for iOS experts to help with that aspect.

Please let us know how it goes!

• MacPass
    MacPass
    Community Member
    Options

BINGO! Got it all fixed, with one minor annoyance remaining. With my limited experience with the Windows file system, but with decades of troubleshooting experience on the Mac, here is how I fixed it. After first reverifying that 1Password syncing through Dropbox was working on the Toshiba and on Mac OS X, I proceeded to work on the Mac/PDT 1Password for Windows problem. I deleted both the Dropbox and Dropbox (old) folders, AFTER FIRST uninstalling Dropbox, so that nothing on the Dropbox server could get deleted. Then, I logged into Dropbox.com, logged in and reinstalled Dropbox. It took close to an hour to sync about 4,000 files, which I may not have waited for the first time. Then, I launched 1Password for Windows on the Mac/PDT. I had to select between my Primary and Seconday vault, and chose the Primary. It worked, and I proceeded to install the 1Password browser extensions. I was also able to access my Secondary vault. ONE ANNOYANCE when I proceeded to select the Secondary vault. There were four choices, likely retaining the Primary and Secondary vault names from the original flawed installation. Any way of deleting those no longer relevant two choices? Got my 1Password for iPhone working, too. Many thanks! :-)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @MacPass,

That's great, I'm glad you're making progress.

There were four choices, likely retaining the Primary and Secondary vault names from the original flawed installation.

Umm, that doesn't sound right. Can you look at the full paths and see where they're being stored? To find out, open the main 1Password app, unlock, and click on the 1Password icon on the toolbar like so:

This discussion has been closed.