Getting the categories in sync?

Options

So while the categories are much closer now than they were prior to version 4 coming out for Windows, I'm still seeing a few discrepancies:

• In Windows, I have 5 items in "Accounts" ; In Mac, 2 of those same 5 are in "Databases" and the other 3 are in "Logins"

That is the discrepancy I care most about. This second one isn't as big of a deal since it at least makes sense, though I'd like to know if the two versions will ever fully line up:

• In Windows, I have 27 items in "Wallet" ; In Mac, there are 23 in "Credit Cards", 2 in "Passports", and 2 in "Social Security". Are there any plans to simplify those categories down to a single "Wallet" in Mac as well?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

Are there any plans to simplify those categories down to a single "Wallet" in Mac as well?

Actually, the Mac version did have "Wallet" and "Accounts" in earlier versions. I think the removal of those are the simplification, not the other way around. Because with them, you did not only have categories, but also those category groups. Without them, you have only categories. Also some categories under the "Account" umbrella got removed, such as "Generic accounts". They get converted to Logins in the new system.

And isn't "Accounts" a terrible name for a category group? After all, most of your logins could probably be categorized as accounts ("my Gmail account"), yet they are not an "Account" in 1Password's system.

You can avoid some confusion if you use the new syncing format called "opvault". You still see "Accounts" and "Wallet" in Windows, but the categories will match. Although, I have noticed that in the recent update:

4.0.1.503: The "New Item" button displays all (Wallet and Account) item types.

1Password presents the old categories in that menu, even though I'm using opvault. If I choose for example Generic Account, a Login is created. In the pre-503 menu, creating an Account item would present a window listing only the categories relevant for the opvault format.

• Kknight78
    Kknight78
    Community Member
    Options

How do you switch to opvault?

I tend to use "Accounts" for non-web-login accounts. I.e., I put things like my AD account, my Firefox Sync account, my Quicken Vault account, etc in that "category". This distinguishes the items that will never be auto-submitted through the browser from things that are.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@Kknight78‌:

How do you switch to opvault?

When you create a new data file in 1Password, there is a Save As type to select .opvault.

To switch your data files to opvault, you have to manually export from your .agilekeychain files and import them into the new opvault files.

RIght now, we don't recommend doing this if you're syncing to other non-Windows PCs like iOS, Macs, and Android. It is not fully supported on those platforms just yet.

I tend to use "Accounts" for non-web-login accounts. I.e., I put things like my AD account, my Firefox Sync account, my Quicken Vault account, etc in that "category". This distinguishes the items that will never be auto-submitted through the browser from things that are.

That's basically it, the thin line between the pervious Accounts and Logins was that Logins need a website field to fill in your data. It introduced a lot of confusion to the app and we've decided to simplify this into a single Logins category. The extension will filter the information to Logins that will fill on the site. In the long run, it turns out to be a great decision as we didn't encounter many questions about Accounts/Logins that we used to from previous versions of 1Password for Mac and iOS.

We're working on cleaning up the interface for dealing with the OPvault files in 1Password 4 for Windows, so that it will be in sync with the rest of 1Password 4 apps on iOS, Mac, and Android in terms of the categories.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password presents the old categories in that menu, even though I'm using opvault.

Fixed in 4.0.2.BETA-504

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kknight78‌, you may also find that performance suffers a bit, using the .opvault format. As I understand it, 1Password is not yet optimized for use with that newer format.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

you may also find that performance suffers a bit, using the .opvault format. As I understand it, 1Password is not yet optimized for use with that newer format.

According to the change log, this has been improved with version 4.0.0.499

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Oh, that's great news, @svondutch! Thanks for the reminder.

• Kknight78
    Kknight78
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thanks for all the info everyone!

• MikeT
    Options

On behalf of the team here, you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.