Syncing Woes

Options
SixFootEwok
SixFootEwok
Community Member
edited May 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

So, I have a desktop, a laptop (both windows) and an Android phone, all using 1password. The bummer is that all of them have different data regarding the logins / wallets I use. For instance, today, I added a few more passwords via my desktop. The laptop sees none of these updates, and the phone, after syncing, now ONLY sees the additions from today, and none of the other logins I created prior to today. Even weirder, there is a wallet entry I made on the desktop app that the browser extension, also on the desktop, doesn't see. But the phone does. (???what.) They are all synced with dropbox, and the files are all the same across all devices. This has been way too much of a hassle for one day, so I'm posting here in hopes someone can help me sort this out.

Thanks.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting Dropbox set up correctly, @SixFootEwok‌.

The first thing to do is to get the two Windows machines syncing correctly. Questions:

• Does either of the Windows machines have a "master set" of 1Password data? In other words, does either of them have all of your Logins and other saved items? If so, make a 1Password backup on that machine, just to be safe.

• Is Dropbox installed on both Windows machines and associated with the same Dropbox account?

• What's the full path and filename reported on the General tab of 1Password preferences on both Windows machines?

• Were the two Windows machines ever in sync? If so, did anything else change around the time they stopped syncing?

We'll figure out what's going on and get things working for you.

• SixFootEwok
    SixFootEwok
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Well, it looks like the two windows machines are now in sync! I waited for Dropbox to finish updating before posting my issues yesterday, but it seems like something clicked last minute and things started working together. However, a couple problems remain:

1) I entered a wallet entry using the desktop app a while ago. It shows up on the laptop's app, but does not show in either machine's browser extension. However, additional logins I entered yesterday are complete and show across all apps / extensions.

2) The phone entries are still borked and only shows entries I made yesterday. I relinked to Dropbox but no changes occurred.

To answer your questions (might help with current / phone problems):

1) I don't believe I have a master set. The only data I know of is what is on dropbox.

2) Yep

3) Same path, same file.

4) I had trouble with a "connecting" message when signing into the laptop's extension, which just worked itself out after some fiddling yesterday. It was then that I couldn't get the two machines to sync.

Another piece of feedback, I wish the phone's interface matched the UI of the windows / browser apps. It's confusing, as it looks like it's made by different company altogether.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks for the follow-up!

1. Please try choosing Help > Restart 1Password Helper, and let us know whether that gets syncing to the browsers working for you.

2. By "phone entries" do you mean Logins and other items saved in 1Password on your iPhone?

(Both of those things above sound like the extensions aren't communicating with the main program. If restarting the helper doesn't solve it, we'll look at next steps.)

1. By "do you have master set" I was hoping to determine whether 1Password on any of your devices has all of your Logins and other items, so that all the others are subsets of that data.

2. Syncing of a 1Password browser extension with the main 1Password program occurs on individual machines and doesn't involve Dropbox. Syncing between machines uses Dropbox. Which is it that hasn't worked since the "connecting" message went away, and what was displaying the "connecting" message?

• SixFootEwok
    SixFootEwok
    Community Member
    Options

So, I see the majority of syncing working, but Im still missing a couple wallet entries I made on the browser is not showing up in the desktop app.

By phone entries, yes, I mean entries previously made on my pc that im trying to view on the phone app. Ive tried restart password helper but it hasnt changed anything. Maybe twke me through getting the phone updated step by step.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @SixFootEwok‌,

So, I see the majority of syncing working, but Im still missing a couple wallet entries I made on the browser is not showing up in the desktop app.

I'm not sure what you mean. There is no way to add new wallet items in the browser, you can only create new Logins in the extensions. Do you mean you made some changes to your existing credit card items and it is not showing up in the main program?

By phone entries, yes, I mean entries previously made on my pc that im trying to view on the phone app.

Can you tell me which version of 1Password you have installed on your Android, is it the recent new 1Password 4 for Android app or the older 1Password Reader 1.x?

If the former, try tapping on the sync button on top of the Categories or Favorites list to sync recent changes. If nothing happens, please go the Settings > Sync option in 1Password to see if Dropbox is enabled and/or make sure Sync automatically is on. For more information, please read this.

• SixFootEwok
    SixFootEwok
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I've attached two pics with regard to the Wallet issue: <---- The browser extension and <---- Desktop app Essentially, I have a wallet entry in my desktop app that won't sync to the browser extension, but ALL other types of entries seem to.

Regarding the phone issue, I'm all set, now. In the past, doing 1password searches in the Play Store only returne the 1password reader app. I see the 1Password 4 app. I downloaded it and all is well.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @SixFootEwok‌,

That's normal. Note the type column in the desktop program and note the type in the extension, only credit card items will show up in the extensions because it is the only type that can be used to fill into the site. Bank accounts and other wallet items aren't fillable and thus, won't show up in the extensions.

By the way, if you're using 1Password 4 for Windows, you're using the older version of 1Password extension. We have newer extension that's faster and more native to the Windows platform but you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. If you want to upgrade, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.