Sudden Unbidden Changes in 1password for Windows

Options

Hello.

Suddenly today, my 1pwWin has totally changed its behavior. I've made no changes. First, the browser access has asked for my master over and over when I did have it set to stay open; I'm the only one on this machine and I log out when necessary. Also I can't find where I set that to happen.

Second, I went to access my primary program and it's asking me whether I'm a new user and behaving like I'm starting from scratch.

I've done nothing I can think of to the pc environment and it makes me twitchy that this kind of change is happening seemingly by itself. Well obviously it hasn't.

So I need two pieces of help. First, how can I set options in the browser 1pw? Second is it safe to access the desktop that's acting like it never "saw" me before?

Thanks much for the help.

-G.

Comments

• Hi gorham, It sounds like you may have moved a file or folder and 1Password can no longer find its data file. The default location of the 1Password vault is \My Documents\1Password.
    Please can you search for an .agilekeychain file and see if you can open it.
    The timeout options are set in the 1Password main program - go to Preferences > Security.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Also check your dropbox folder. They very helpfully reduced my quota recently and deleted all my content.

• Hi Richard - I'm so sorry that Dropbox would have done that to you - that's scary.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Laura, I have the keychain folder but it's empty and the program says it can't be used. There's a recent backup that's whole. And my data does seem to be available in the browser version. Where's it getting that from?

Richard, I don't use Dropbox and, from your experience, I'm rather glad I don't.

I don't want to make moves without advice so I'll limp along until I know where to pull the data from.

Thanks much as usual.

-G.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Ah. Figured it out. It did (finally) occur to me that 1pw protects me from myself and I restored from a backup less than a week old. Happily I don't think I've added anything of note during that time but even if I had, most of my data is better than none!

Thanks, Laura, for steering me toward the keychain.

The experience also prodded me to do something I've put off and that's move my data to a more secure location. Has nothing to do with my now former problem but it needed doing.

As usual, this forum is greatly appreciated.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gorham,

That's wonderful, I'm glad you got the data back. That's generally a reason we recommend three copies of backups; two local copies and one remote. So, if you keep this in mind when moving and/or backing up your data, you should be able to recover well from this type of incidents in the future.

This discussion has been closed.