Dropbox "Force Quit" message at shutdown of Windows

Options

I have been experiencing a Dropbox "Force Shutdown" message when closing Windows 7 Home. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Dropbox and 1Password 4 (restoring from latest backup), but that didn't help. If I reinstall 1Password without restoring from backup, I would loose all password info I have previously input, right? So I only use Dropbox for 1Password, and just turn it off until or unless I change something in 1Password, and the turn it on long enough to sync and then back off again. Any other suggestions? Also still experiencing occasional "1Password can't detect any login fields", but closing and reopening browser window in IE 11 gets it working again. Actually, I only have a desktop and one laptop that is seldom used, so if I don't really use 1Password on the laptop, I could get by without using Dropbox at all, right?

Comments

• Hi Dwight, a simple reinstall of the 1Password program will not affect your 1Password data.
    Please can you send an email to support+forum AT agilebits.com and we can give you instructions to create a diagnostic report and then give you steps to move your 1Password data out of your Dropbox folder.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I get this too occasionally. It just means that the Dropbox process is taking more time to terminate than Windows expected. If you leave it for 10 minutes, does it disappear on it's own? If so then it's just responding slowly.

I've noticed that Windows' virtual memory management is terrible. It seems to write a process out to VM after a certain period of inactivity whether the system needs the memory that it's using or not. What this means is that if you leave your PC on over night, when you come back in the morning it is horribly slow while it reloads everything into main memory. It effectively had zero memory use for no reason.

In the context of Dropbox, it is a background service and if you haven't used it recently then I would put good money on Windows having thunked it out to the disk to free up main memory. This means that when Windows shuts down and asks Dropbox to close, it has to be reloaded into main memory from the disk which makes it slower to respond than Windows expects.

• @DwightL‌ RichardPayne's explanation regarding Dropbox is fitting. Sometimes syncing processes take longer to finish than you'd expect and sometimes Windows interferes with Dropbox, causing it to hang.

If you continue to get see the issue in Internet Explorer, please shoot us an email so we can take a closer look.

This discussion has been closed.