Drag and drop between categories

Options

Why can't I drag and drop between categories?

For example, I want to drag an item from Secure Notes to Accounts, and I can't do it.

This is intuitive, and needs to be added.

Sean

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

That logically makes no sense. An account implicitly has a username and password field. A secure note has neither.
    What are you trying to accomplish with that move? There might be a better way to handle it.

• dmacct
    dmacct
    Community Member
    Options

It's important for you (Agile Bits) to understand why this actually makes sense.

Sometimes an item may have been created in the wrong category. Many people have this issue when importing records from a more flexible application with more categories - many categories may not be matched in your import process and unmapped categories are created as Notes in your system. Additionally, users sometimes make mistakes: for example, a user might start with something as a note and then realize that there would be advantages to having more structure in the record and therefore want to move it to a category that has more structure.

Is this starting to make sense?

Yes, the structures are different - but that might be the reason why a user needs the ability to change categories: to take advantage of a different structure.

Now, how can you do this? You can map elements of the structures between all possible category pairs. Some are easy: turning a Note into a Login would stuff everything in the Note into the "Notes" element in the Login and leave everything else empty. You can expect that the user will fill in the structured elements as desired by either typing or cutting/pasting.

So, why not make your system far easier to use and far more accommodating to users' actual use cases?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

As a user, I really don't see this being an actual use case on a regular basis. The 1Password categories are pretty well defined. Personally I can only remember having to do this once. I really don't see the benefit involved being worth the development time when the difference in manual edit time for the user is so low.

That said, I've never done an import from another password manager. How does it work?

• Sean Logue
    Sean Logue
    Community Member
    Options

I created a bunch of Notes. Now I have too many, so I want to better organize them by dragging them into other categories.

Well, turns out that won't work, even though it makes intuitive sense that it should. In fact, I assumed it would work when I created the Notes.

Now it turns out that if I want to do this, I have to recreate the Notes in the other categories. I seriously doubt I'm the only person who ran into this.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Do you actually mean categories or do you mean folders? The items at the top left of the window or the bottom left?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sean, there might be a couple different topics being discussed here, causing some confusion. To clarify, it sounds like you're asking about one of the following things:

• Changing (i.e. converting) an existing item to a different type/category (this is what @dmacct asked about)

• Organizing items into different folders (to make it easier for you to find them, for example)

On the left side of the main 1Password program window, you'll see Categories at the top (Logins, Secure Notes, Identities, etc), and Folders at the bottom. Each Category will list items of the same type - so, Logins will show all the login items you've created, Secure Notes will show you all the secure note items you've created, and so on. You can't simply move a Secure Note item to the Logins category, because a Secure Note isn't a Login - it's a Secure Note.

Think of the different Categories kind of like different file types on a computer. You might have Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files on your computer, and each type of file is opened with a different program - Word files are opened in Microsoft Word, Excel files are opened in Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint files are opened in Microsoft PowerPoint. But you can't open an Excel file in PowerPoint (for example), because it's a different type of file.

However, to organize those files, you can create a folder on a computer and move Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files into that same folder. Likewise, you can create a folder in 1Password and move Logins, Secure Notes, Identities, and other item types into that same folder. In the main 1Password program, simply click New Item > Folder (or click the "Add" button in the bottom-left corner). Once you create a folder, you can drag & drop items into it.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion! :)

• Sean Logue
    Sean Logue
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, this helps. A lot.

It is a shame when other users chime in with arguments. I don't mind that, as long as I'm being paid for it. On my own time? Not so much.

I have another issue with the auto lock, but I'll start a separate thread for that.

Thanks again!

Sean

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @Sean Logue‌,

On behalf of Alex, you're welcome!

This is a public community, so everybody's invited to help each other. If you want to get private support, you can email us at support AT agilebits.com.

I'll wait for your other thread to help you with that one but at the moment, I don't see it. Be sure to include your Windows version, 1Password version, and the browser you're using.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.