Ability to place accounts logins in groups

Options

Will there be availability in a future release to have groups? By that I mean "Banking" and have all my logins/passwords for banks under that group. As it is now I have over 500 different logins for sites and it is a pain in the arse to search for a login. In Lastpass you can arrange them in groups, and I have yet to find a way to do this in 1password, so I am looking for the ability to keep it more organized.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

There is already a "Folder" feature which sounds like it would do the job. Just click the Add button at the bottom left of the window and then type in the folder name ("Banking" for example). Then just drag and drop items from the "Unassigned" folder into a named folder.

• foehammer25
    foehammer25
    Community Member
    Options

1Password use to do this automatically for Windows. It doesn't now. When it saves a password there is a box that use to allow you to categorize the website right when you saved the password. The box is still there with version 4, but it doesn't work. If you do not want that feature any longer, you could at least remove the non-functional option.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@foehammer25‌
    I don't remember 1Password ever automatically categorising logins. How would know and understand your folder structure?

The dropdown on the "Save new login" window works fine. I've just tested it and it presents my list folder list and correctly parked the new login in the right folder. Perhaps you could be a little more specific when you say "it doesn't work".

• eastmarw
    eastmarw
    Community Member
    Options

I am an idiot! Thanks. You know I looked at this screen and never saw the word folder on the left! What a looser :)

• foehammer25
    foehammer25
    Community Member
    Options

When I log in to a site for the first time, it does not give me the option to save to a folder. All logins go to "unassigned". It appears I should be able to change it, but it doesn't allow me to.

• foehammer25
    foehammer25
    Community Member
    Options

I'm speaking of the windows version.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Which version are you using, v1 or v4?

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @foehammer25‌,

Can you tell me which browser you're using on which Windows and also the 1Password version.

Here's what it is supposed to look like with 1Password 4 for Windows for all browsers.

It should be possible to switch the folder and I tested this. So, it might be something specific to your setup that's not letting you change the folder. If I can get that info, I can try to replicate it.

• foehammer25
    foehammer25
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like that. I have figured it out. I thought it would show the default categories, I didn't realize I had to create my own folders for it to work. Thanks.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @foehammer25‌,

I'm glad you figured it out. You do have a great point, it isn't obvious without any folders first.

We'll see if we can improve that.

Thanks!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Just a thought, how about add a new item to the dropdown list saying "Store in new folder..." which when selected display another textbox below the dropbox to allow the entry of a folder name.

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @RichardPayne,

That's what I was thinking, I'm just not sure how it would work since we don't have that ability anywhere in 1Password right now. It'd also be nice to be able to append or create new tags as well.

We'll figure this out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

This discussion has been closed.