Some major gripes with the windows version of 1Password

Options

Hello,

as a highly satisfied owner of the Mac/iOS versions of 1Password it was beyond question to buy 1Password also for Windows when I bought a (gaming) PC some months ago - having convenient access to my passwords was worth it, even if I won't need it that often.

However, owning 1Password for all available platforms I have some issues with the Windows version:

• Why does 1Password for Windows use different/aggregated categories than all other platforms?

The fact, that Wallet incorporates Memberships, Bank Accounts, Credit Cards and Social Security Numbers and Accounts Databases, Email Accounts and Wireless Routers is seriously impairing my user experience. I don't use 1Password for Windows as often as the other versions and when I do after some time I can be sure I forgot where to find it because of the different categories.

This is further aggravated by my second issue …

• Why is there no global search?

Especially in combination with the different categories the lack of global search is a real problem. I forget the correct category, but also cannot use the search, because it is not global.

• Speed

This is not as bad as my other two issues, but compared to the buttery smooth experience on the Mac the Windows version feels sluggish and slow. Unlocking either in the browser or the main application can take up to 7-10 seconds and even navigating the app, clearing the search field or editing items is accompanied by lags.

I'd really appreciate it, if something could be done about those things.

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @om3ga777,

Why does 1Password for Windows use different/aggregated categories than all other platforms?

This will be improved over time when we move to our new OPvault format, this will be consistent across all 1Password 4 apps. We've already started the work to remove the unused categories in the latest 1Password for Windows 4.0.2 betas but only for the opvault files.

The categories you're seeing now is based on the older .agilekeychain format, which is what the Windows app is reading, 1Password 4 for Windows doesn't work the same way that the other apps do, it reads and writes to your data file directly, where the other apps are importing/exporting from an internal app database. Once 1Password 4 for Windows reads the opvault file, it'll use a different interface and not show any unused categories. Here's a screenshot:

We still have a bit more work to go since Wallet/Accounts don't exist in opvault. We plan to remove the groups in a future update.

Why is there no global search?

Select the All folder on the sidebar and you can then search through all items at once.

Speed

We're still working on optimizing the app. It doesn't work the same way as it does on other platforms, which helped with the performance a lot.

Right now, what you can do to speed it up a bit is to select the category on the sidebar with the least amount of items before locking the app. That'll speed up the unlock next time. Right now, 1Password has to read all of the files in the category while it unlocks, so it slows down a bit if you have a large number of items in that specific category. We're trying to figure out a better way to handle this.

• om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Mike,

thanks for your honest and thorough answer! Great to see, that you guys are aware of the issues and working on them. And thanks for the tip with the All folder - I somehow overlooked that.

Have a great day!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MikeT and @om3ga777‌: Here's some useful information from the Searching for items article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide:

When you launch 1Password, the insertion point is in the search field, so you can just start typing. Filtering is nearly instantaneous, so the displayed list narrows, as you type, to show only matching items. Clicking the X next to the search field clears what you’ve typed.

When you click in the search field, the current category or folder stays selected.

When you press Ctrl+F, though, the All folder is selected automatically—you’re searching all item types. To narrow the search to a specific item type, you can then select that category in the sidebar. Notice that the search filter stays in effect, narrowing the list of items displayed, until you clear the search field.

We hope you'll find the user's guide a source for lots of useful information about using 1Password!

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member
    Options

I had a problem with searching in the Windows client just now and thought I'd head over here to see if anyone else had the same issue. I stopped once I found this thread because I need clarification regarding the issue of searching.

When you say "global" I take that to mean a search will be performed on ALL items. That's good, but I think it should also mean searching everything in all items. I say that because I did a search for a word that I knew was contained in one of my cards. When it didn't come up in the results I became worried, thinking something fell through the cracks. Luckily, I knew what card to look for and found the exact keyword phrase I was searching for.

So why didn't it show in the search results? Does 1Password (PC client or any platform) only go so deep when performing a search?

The card type in question here is a secure note.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @phoenixrizing,

You can click the magnifying glass to the left of the search field and choose Search All Fields. Now it should search for all words in your items, instead of just the titles. Sorry for any confusion about that! :)

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Drew. I can't think of a reason why it would be any other way (searching all fields by default, that is). But I'm glad to know it's an easy solution.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I can't think of a reason why it would be any other way (searching all fields by default, that is).

Speed I believe. They try to minimise the amount of data decrypted at any one time and so the stuff that goes in the display grid is decrypted for all displayed items, but nothing else is until you click on an item. If you want to search all fields then the search routine has to decrypt each item as it goes. This can be slow on large vaults.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Why is there no global search?

Press Ctrl+F, then enter what you're searching for.

Speed

Here are a few settings that might speed up 1Password when you turn them OFF:

1. View > Show Rich Icons
    2. File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > General > "scan Dropbox directory for 1Password vaults"
    3. File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Updates > "automatically check for updates"
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yes, as quoted above from the user's guide:

"When you press Ctrl+F, ...the All folder is selected automatically—you’re searching all item types."

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to you both.

DBrown, yes, but not all fields in all item types, correct? That was the main issue I was trying to convey.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

but not all fields in all item types, correct?

Here's how to search all fields in all item types:

1. Press Ctrl+F
    2. Click on the drop-down arrow that is in front of the search input
    3. Click on: "Search All Fields"
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Here's what's in that Searching for items article in the user's guide:

This discussion has been closed.