A little set up advice?

Options
eschurr
eschurr
Community Member
edited October 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm new to 1password and am trying to figure out if it can work for my situation. i'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

I want to set this up this way:

• On my home PC
  • On my work PC
  • On my wife's PC (which may be moving to a Mac
  • On my Android phone
  • On my wife's Android phone

I want most, if not all, of it to sync (I saw “most” because my wife and I will share some information, like our passport numbers and Amex card numbers and Netflix account, but other times we’ll have our own, like her Amazon login and my Amazon login).

1. from what i read the only way to sync all these devices is through DropBox. is that right? I would like to use manual sync but it appears it does not work between Windows and Android
  2. i can't tell how many licenses i have to buy -- I'm thinking it would be two, because the site says it is licensed by user (me and spouse) not device.

thanks in advance

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Correct
    2. Sounds like you want the family bundle + 1 Android license + 1 iOS license
  • J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Manual sync kinda works from Windows to Android with the use of third party apps but after some tests, i saw that several changes were not propagated correctly. The only missing thing is a Wi-fi sync option for Android in fact as the Windows app is already able to do that.

• eschurr
    eschurr
    Community Member
    Options

That sounds about right.

1. is there a charge for Android licenses? i assume there isn't based on the statement that the charge is per user
    2. how can i sync some of my entries but not all? Is there a way to selectively share parts of a vault (i.e. specific entries)?
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options
    1. The Windows and Mac versions are licensed per platform and per user. The per user part is an honour system. There's really nothing stopping you from sharing a single license between two of your, although that would be dishonest. Plus the family bundle isn't much more expensive than an individual license, so you can be cheap and honest. ;-) The Android and iOS versions are tied to the purchasing accounts on Google Play and Apple App Store respectively.
    2. To differentially sync entries, you'd need to use multiple vaults. Unfortunately there is no multiple vault support on Android yet and the multi-vault support on Windows is not as polished as on OSX.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@eschurr‌, to answer your original question:

Get a 1Password for Windows "family" license. That'll let you and your wife use 1Password for Windows on as many PCs as you like. If your wife moves to a Mac, you can use your license key in our online store to obtain a discount on adding 1Password for Mac to the mix.

Get 1Password for Android from the appropriate app store (Google Play? I'm not an Android user, myself, so I'm a little vague on the specifics. :) )

On your PC, create two vaults:

• One for the data you want to keep to yourself.

• One for the data you want to share with your wife.

Install Dropbox on all the PCs involved. Use the "share folder" feature in Dropbox to share the "shared-data" vault with your wife. Then she can open it from her PC and Android phone.

On your own Android phone, you can sync to one or the other of your vaults. I am not support-rated in 1Password for Android, but I believe you'll have to switch between the two vaults, as you will in 1Password for Windows. (I don't find information in the 1Password for Android user's guide on how to do that, so I've asked someone to chime in, here.)

For the record, multiple-vault support in 1Password for Windows isn't less "polished" than in 1Password for Mac—it was possible to maintain multiple vaults in 1Password for Windows long before it was possible in 1Password for Mac—it's just different, in that you need to know the master password for each vault to open it on a PC, whereas a single master password opens them all on a Mac. That's just a slightly different point on the security←→convenience spectrum. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

For the record, multiple-vault support in 1Password for Windows isn't less "polished" than in 1Password for Mac—it was possible to maintain multiple vaults in 1Password for Windows long before it was possible in 1Password for Mac—it's just different, in that you need to know the master password for each vault to open it on a PC, whereas a single master password opens them all on a Mac. That's just a slightly different point on the security←→convenience spectrum.

I disagree that it is not less polished. What you're saying would be completely true if, on the Mac, you had to re-enter the Primary vault password whenever you switched vaults.
    As it stands, on Windows, if you are regularly switching back and forth it is a complete pain in the arse. On the Mac, switching is just a dropdown list selection and does not require entry of any master password.
    It is also less polished from a visual point of view. The Windows version uses a dropdown list of the vault paths. The Mac version has a friendly name with colour coding and a picture.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There is no concept of "primary" and "secondary" vaults in 1Password for Windows.

Dev argues (not unreasonably) that it's actually more secure to require the master password for each vault.

(1Password for Windows may one day include friendly names with color coding and pictures, too.)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

There is no concept of "primary" and "secondary" vaults in 1Password for Windows.

I understand that.

Dev argues (not unreasonably) that it's actually more secure to require the master password for each vault.

Why is it more secure to require the user to remember two complex passwords instead of one? If the secondary vault passwords are encrypted with in the primary then so long as the primary master password is strong then access to the secondary vaults should be perfectly safe.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

This is purely conjecture, but it seems likely that, if 1Password for Windows ever includes the concept of "primary" and "secondary" vaults, it will also include some mechanism by which the master password to one vault will yield access to the contents of one or more of the other vaults. It would not surprise me, though, if an eventual solution, whatever it might be, looks different from either current model.

Again this is all pure conjecture on my part—I have no knowledge of any design plans. My point was only that it's not unreasonable to hold the position that your data is most secure when the items you feel need to be kept in a separate vault are secured by the master password for that vault.

• eschurr
    eschurr
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for all the replies. i need to think about this. It seems to me -- and this is just a gut feel -- that 1Password has been built primarily for the Apple world and Windows and Android are a second thought. Since i am a Windows and Android user, that gives me pause. i'm not also not sure i like the idea of switching between vaults (although i have no evidence that any other password manager has a better solution to this). BTW, i can't login to my trial vault, anyway -- i wrote the password down after i created it and logged into it a few times but now it says it's invalid. Go figure.

anyway, i appreciate all the comments. One thing is for sure: 1Password provides good support and has good community support, too.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you, @eschurr‌!

A master password can't become invalid. Without knowing your exact situation, I could only guess at what's happening. I'm not at all familiar with our Android offering, but one possibility is that you've created a vault in 1Password for Windows and then set up Dropbox syncing in 1Password for Android, inadvertently creating a different vault with a different master password. Another possibility is that you changed the master password on one platform, and the change hasn't synced to the other platform (which would certainly be true if you were using two different vaults without realizing it).

Anyway, let us know if you want to pursue the matter. We'll do everything we can to figure out what's going on and get things working for you!

• eschurr
    eschurr
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for the response. i only created this vault on Windows and have not attempted to sync it with anything else. good thing i haven't done much with it because i can't get into it! :) Since i'm just trialing the product it won't be too painful to create a new vault. I suppose that's the best route to take...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eschurr, if your master password no longer works, it might help to try the suggestions in this guide.

Please try each tip. If nothing works and you still can't unlock your vault in 1Password, you can try restoring from a backup, or start over with a new vault (both of those options are explained in the guide).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Actually, one more suggestion: make sure you've installed the latest update. From the main 1Password program, go to Help > Check for New Version. If an update is available, please install it and see if it helps.

This discussion has been closed.