Moving logins to different folders ?

Options

Hello, Simple question, I imported my login data from Roboform . Login data was in different folders (not very well organized) and I have no need , at least not at the present, for multiple login folders. I have been doing a bit of reading and realize that it is not easy to move items from one category to another - but if they are all the same - ie logins

• I guess I can delete all my login folder (moving to unassigned) but in the long run it will create an even bigger problem, what if I do decide ,and I probably will,go the folder route? The main reason I am doing this is to be able to see all my logins togather on my android device. Is there a way to move logins around to different login folders?
    A push in the right dirction would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As noted in the Working with folders and tags article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide, @StanWiz:

• Every item (unless it’s in the Trash) is also listed in the built-in All folder, which always lists all your 1Password items, regardless of type.

• Every item (unless it’s in the Trash) can also be in exactly one folder that you created; if it isn’t, it’s automatically listed in the built-in Unassigned folder.

You can create and delete folders to your heart's content. :) When you delete a folder, 1Password will ask whether you want to move the items in it into the Unassigned folder or into the Trash. (You can still recover items from the Trash...until you empty the Trash, of course.)

• StanWiz
    StanWiz
    Community Member
    Options

Are you saying that one can recover individual logins from trash to another folder or that you have to restore the folder itself ?

I realize that all logins are visible in the ALL folder but like I said the way the folders were organized to start left a lot to be desired , I would like to take the opportunity to clean it all up . I'm aware that I can delete and reenter the logins by loging on each site but that is a lot of work ( +- 200 logins that have to be changed) .
    Thanks

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hello @StanWiz‌ ,

The "All" folder will list all your entries excepted those you put in the trash. In this left pane you can also click an empty space below the trash to add a new folder (can also be created via the new item menu).

Once you have created a new folder you can drag and drop any item (login, secure note...) into it. You'll be able to sort your entries that way. Original items will still be in "secure notes" or "wallet" categories for example. It doesn't really move items when you drag and drop; it works a bit like filters in fact.

The "Unassigned" folder will list any login that you haven't assigned to a folder you created.

When you mention the login folder, do you refer to a folder you created or the default "Logins" folder which is present in 1Password?

• StanWiz
    StanWiz
    Community Member
    Options

J.M
    I have 320 logins . Approx 120 are in a folder named Passwords 75 unassigned and the remainder spread over a dozen folders. When I was talking about a default folder I had passwords in mind , I believe that it was imported from roboform. I did notice that I was able to drag and drop logins from the right side to the folders on left - to all except the Passwords folder ( which of course is the one I wanted to use - lol).
    I think I understand the workaround now tho - create as many folders as I require, delete any old folders that do not suit my needs (making the entries unassigned) and dragging/dropping as required to the newly created folders. I wonder what's so special about my 'Passwords' folder ? Can I see its attributes somewhere ?

Do you think the above will work?
    Thank you

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@StanWiz, those "default folders" aren't folders at all; they're categories. Here's some useful info from the glossary:

Accounts

(Windows) A collection of various item types that are listed individually in 1Password for Mac. The Accounts category will be phased out in a future release.

See also Wallet.

All Items (a.k.a. All) folder

The built-in folder that displays all your 1Password items.

Categories or item types

These are the various types of information that you can save in 1Password. Different item types have different “templates” (default fields); you can add custom fields, but you cannot “move” an item from one category to another. See also individual item types.

Category area

(Windows) All categories are listed, even if you haven’t yet saved an item of that type in your vault.

Favorites

The built-in folder that displays any items you have “starred.”

Folder

A means of organizing your 1Password data. An item can be associated with only one folder, but folders can contain items of any type.

Generated Passwords

A special category in which 1Password creates an item whenever you use the password generator. See also Security Audit.

(Windows) In the main 1Password program, choose the View > Generated Passwords command to toggle display of the category. (The File > New Item submenu includes a Password command only when the Generated Passwords category is displayed in the sidebar.)

Identities

Each item holds name and address information that 1Password can use in your web browser to fill shipping and billing forms.

Item

A unit of data that you store in 1Password. See also Categories or item types.

Secure Notes

Each item holds free-form plain text in which you can store any information you like.

Security Audit

(Windows) The Weak Passwords, Duplicated Passwords, Heartbleed, and Watchtower categories. Like Generated Passwords, display of these categories is toggled on the View menu.

Sidebar (a.k.a. category area and folder area)

(Windows) The main program window comprises four quadrants. The upper left is for categories, and the lower left is for folders and tags. The category and folder areas are sometimes collectively called the sidebar.

Tag

A keyword that you can optionally assign to any item. You can assign multiple tags to an item.

(Windows) Add and delete tags while creating or editing an item; search for tags by pressing Ctrl+↓ in the search field.

Trash

The folder that contains items you have deleted. As with the operating system’s Trash or Recycle Bin, you can recover items from 1Password’s Trash until you explicitly empty it.

Wallet

(Windows) A collection of various item types that are listed separately in 1Password for Mac. The Wallet category will be phased out in a future release. See also Accounts.

You can't move items from one category to another, because the category is the fundamental item type, and those can't be changed.

You can move items from one foder to another (except to and from the All folder, or course, because it always contains everything).

I hope that helps, @StanWiz. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.