Start From Fresh - What's the Best Approach

Options

I need some advice to help me with setting up 1Password on iPhones, iPad, MacBook and a PC using Dropbox and iCloud. I have all the latest versions of 1Password for each platform. My main issue it that there are mulitple agile keychains and folders and files and it is very confusing to try and figure out what vault should be used as there are multiples. What is the best way to start from scratch so that I sync all these devices using one folder on Dropbox?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I think you need to provide some more details about your setup (for example, what versions of 1Password, what versions of OS X, where is iCloud used, where is Dropbox used). But generally speaking, I would do the following:

1. Backup everything. And backup everything again.
    2. Disable and delete 1Password syncing on everything except my Mac.
    3. Setup 1Password with 1 vault only on my Mac, making sure all data is there.
    4. Enable Dropbox syncing on my Mac, optionally with the newer opvault format that is better in every way (more secure, faster syncing, same categories across different platforms).
    5. Make sure Dropbox only contains this new 1Password.opvault or 1Password.agilekeychain file, then setup 1Password again on my other computers and devices.

Again, this is generally speaking. If you have some odd version of 1Password, things may not work. I strongly recommend using the latest 1Password on all platforms (1Password 5 on Mac and iOS, and 1Password 4 on Windows).

EDIT: Sorry, missed the part about you being on all the latest versions. But just to check, do you mean 1Password 5 on iOS and OS X, and 1Password 4 on Windows?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Note that the .opvault format does not include the 1PasswordAnywhere feature, through which you can view your 1Password data on your private dropbox.com web site, using only a web browser. That may not matter to you, as you have 1Password on multiple mobile devices.

Note, too, the Creating a new vault article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

This discussion has been closed.