Windows Sync with iCloud Drive

Options

Can Windows sync with iCloud Drive? I see it mentioned for Mac OSX Yosemite and iOS, but no mention of Windows. If not, is that coming in the future?

Comments

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

In fact they have switched to a new type of iCloud based sync on Yosemite and latest iOS version which is called CloudKit.

From what i understand it allows more control on the sync process, something that was not possible in the past. It's different from iCloud Drive and doesn't run on Windows unfortunately. It's up to Apple to "maybe" make it available for Windows.

• n8_e
    n8_e
    Community Member
    Options

@J.M, Perhaps I am misunderstanding the iCloud drive, but I know that it works on Windows (just like dropbox). If I save my 1Password files to iCloud Drive is there any reason I cannot just point to that file on my Windows PC?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht6413

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If I save my 1Password files to iCloud Drive is there any reason I cannot just point to that file on my Windows PC?

If you save your 1Password vault to iCloud Drive then your Windows PC can read (and write) it, but 1Password for iOS and OS X cannot because the latter are using CloudKit (not iCloud Drive).

• mikeruoc
    mikeruoc
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

So the best solution is Dropbox for a mixed environment?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

As detailed in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide, @mikeruoc‌: Syncing your 1Password data:

Note in that article that Dropbox is the only (not just the best) sync solution that accommodates 1Password on all the platforms for which we provide versions.

This discussion has been closed.