Search not working?

Options

It appears the search facility isn’t working when I try and search for text in fields.

1. I’ve made sure I’m in the “All” folder so that all items are searched.
  2. I’ve made sure that “Search All Fields” is selected in the search dropdown.

As an example, for all my server account objects I have an “IP Address” field, however when I search for that IP address it doesn’t show up. In fact from what I can tell search doesn’t seem to find anything unless the text is in the notes field or the titles.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck I believe it is searching the built-in fields only (not your custom fields). I apologize for the inconvenience.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Ah that's a big inconvenience. The number one way I find the information I'm after is control+f and type. It's the fastest way I’ve found. I’ve spent a lot of time creating custom fields and filling them with information.

The dropdown does say “search ALL fields” so this is misleading.

Is there any chance you could get the search box to search all the fields instead of just the built in ones? Is it an easy change, i.e. something that could be added in a soonish update?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is there any chance you could get the search box to search all the fields instead of just the built in ones? Is it an easy change, i.e. something that could be added in a soonish update?

@reck It is not an easy change, but I have added it to my list of things to do. Thanks!

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for adding it onto your list, I know it must be a very large list already. Actually I’m surprised it’s not already, you’d think searching would be a common task and if it’s not returning the expected results I would have thought it would have been raised as an issue before now.

Just going back to “the list” for a moment. How do you guys decide the priority of the items on the list and what to work on first? Is this purely an internal AgileBits process or can customers get involved (voting for features etc?).

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

How do you guys decide the priority of the items on the list and what to work on first?

@AlexHoffmann and @DBrown are doing this.

Is this purely an internal AgileBits process or can customers get involved (voting for features etc?)

I would love to see such a voting system. Thank you for letting us know such a system would be useful to you.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I would love to see such a voting system. Thank you for letting us know such a system would be useful to you.

+1 vote for that.
    ERROR Voting System not found!

:wink:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Getting feedback from users in our forums is already sort of a non-official voting system. It doesn't necessarily guarantee certain things get pushed to the top of the list, but it helps. We always appreciate it! :smiley:

• ldemysh
    ldemysh
    Community Member
    Options

I agree, "inline search of Secure Notes" is a critical feature to have for those of us carrying forward old legacy TXT security info files (common method for keeping track of things prior to the advent of 1Password).
    See: 'Find' and 'Find Next' in secure notes , discussion that is posted in the "IOS" section.
    Currently, we have to resort to copying the Secure Note into Notepad to use the CTRL+F capability (along with Find Next, of course).
    We really need this functionality in ALL versions of 1Password sooner than later.
    I think "inline search" of Secure Notes already exists in the MAC version, but I am not 100% sure.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can confirm that 1Password 4 for Mac does include the "body text" of Secure Note items in its search.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

From reading these forums it sounds like the Mac client is a lot better than the Windows client in both interface and features. Why is the windows client a second-class citizen and when will windows catch up with the Mac?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

They are complex programs developed from scratch for two different platforms, @reck.

New features are introduced on one platform or the other; many eventually make it to the other platform.

Those new features, like the software in which they appear, are developed and maintained by mostly separate teams on different schedules.

Just like the Windows and Mac operating systems, themselves, the versions of 1Password on those platforms will always "leapfrog" each other, in terms of features, version numbers, and interfaces.

That's just the nature of software development in a relatively small company like AgileBits.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

it sounds like the Mac client is a lot better than the Windows client in both interface and features

It is not better in features. As a matter of fact, the Windows client has some features that the Mac client does not have (such as Auto-Type, for example).

when will windows catch up with the Mac?

We're constantly improving things on Mac and Windows.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

It is not better in features

It would be interesting to know what features\improvements the PC application has over the MAC as then I may have a different point of view.

I’m aware the PC application has:-

• Auto-Type (use only occasionally)
    • Diceware integration (Never use)

While the Mac

• Smart Folders (Would use these all the time)
    • Better Search (As we can see in this thread the PC search is severely lacking and the “search all fields” option doesn’t search all fields. I believe the mac application has a far superior search facility?)
    • The ability to view attachments without being forced to save them first.
    • Better UI (No Wallet, ability to only view cards, or banks etc separately and not have everything bundled into one view)

Also I seem to remember, but I may be wrong here, that you have placed more resources (people) to develop the Mac application over the PC version, which obviously means faster updates, bug fixes etc. Maybe the teams are the same size now though?

Can you see why I view the PC application as being a second class citizen? It just appears that you emphasise the mac over the PC yet we're both paying customers and should expect the same attention IMO.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

I assure you that those of us on the 1Password for Windows team have it at the top of our priorities.

Assignment of resources (performed at a higher level than mine :) ) must take into account market share, as I'm sure you'll understand.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

performed at a higher level than mine

I had no idea there was a level higher than yours Mr Brown :)

Well I look forward in Windows "catching up" with the mac. I stand by my view that the mac is the better client as it has more useful functionality than the PC version.

I understand you may get "leapfrogging" when developing for different platforms but this feels more like the Tortoise and the Hare and I don't see the PC version leapfrogging over the mac version any-time soon. With more limited resources i'd imagine this would be hard to do.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As always, we appreciate the feedback and input, @reck! :smile:

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Drew I do appreciate how so many of you guys come on the forums and interact with your customers. I feel bad for nagging or moaning now, but in my defence I only bother to come on forums and "moan" when I really like the software and want it to get even better.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We totally get that, @reck, and we really appreciate your passion for 1Password!

• Muddles17
    Muddles17
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to signal my interest as well for a search that acts a bit more like the mac's version. I use macs as my main development and sysadmin machines, but I use windows at home for gaming and entertainment, and I always find myself wishing that I could search everything faster especially since the categories show up differently across platforms. For instance: on my mac, I have items in passwords, memberships, servers, emails, and databases, but these all seem to show up under accounts on the windows side.

Overall though, I'm really liking 1password as a whole. The integration it provides makes my life easier, and the auditing tools make my life more secure.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @Muddles17‌!

Note that 1Password for Windows has the same categories as 1Password for Mac; the difference is that some of them are collected in the Accounts and Wallet groups to make the sidebar manageable.

• Muddles17
    Muddles17
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed later that I can use the all on the search to search everything. Since it wasn't on the top like it is in the mac client, I didn't see it at first. Thank you for the help.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We're always happy to help, @Muddles17‌! I'm glad to hear it's working for you.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed later that I can use the all on the search to search everything.

It doesn't search everything as it implies. The search only searches some of the fields even when All is selected. It's misleading and also hobbles the search greatly. I hope they can "fix" search soon.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

It doesn't search everything as it implies. The search only searches some of the fields even when All is selected.

@reck It does search everything except for your custom fields. This is a known issue.

This discussion has been closed.