[Suggestion] Double Click copies password option

Options
Ocgineer
Ocgineer
Community Member
edited March 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hey all,

As the title says pretty much everything, I would like to have the option that double click copies the password to the clipboard (shift-ctrl-c). When the option minimize 1Password on copy is enabled this should also follow the rule obvious.

This is mainly for my game accounts, to login in when a game is open and asks to login, to quickly open 1Password with the defined hotkey (when the game asks to login) and copy a password a double click, and let it minimize itself so I can paste it directly in the game! I am mostly gaming in windowed mode and that would work excellent.

I am migrating from KeePass and this was one of the nice features that had this included to copy the password quickly and be gone from the view.
Also I am not really a fan of the hotkey and double clicking is faster anyway.

Comments

• Ocgineer
    Ocgineer
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Moved to the correct forum, 1Password for Windows.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Ocgineer,

This is mainly for my game accounts, to login in when a game is open and asks to login, to quickly open 1Password with the defined hotkey (when the game asks to login) and copy a password a double click, and let it minimize itself so I can paste it directly in the game! I am mostly gaming in windowed mode and that would work excellent.

Have you consider using our Auto-Type feature to have 1Password automatically type in your data? It would be faster than the double-click since 1Password doesn't need to be open alongside for this. This guide will explain how to do this: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/creating-an-application-login

For more information on the Auto-Type feature, check out our guide here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/using-auto-type

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@Ocgineer If you do not like Ctrl+Shift+C then you can right-click on your Login item and click on Copy Password.

• Ocgineer
    Ocgineer
    Community Member
    Options

I have tried the Auto-Type feature in few of my games (tried: Glyph Launcher, Battle.net Launcher, and League of Legends Launcher) and non of them worked. However the auto fill feature works in my browser with the ctrl+\ hotkey. Also say this worked but the website login is different from the game login, like has more fields to fill in (like region for League but does not need to login for the game) doesn't it cause problem with the fill/tab/fill/enter solution?

Also most games remember the username and so the password field is focused so selecting first the username to actually /do/ the auto-fill is another required step to login quickly. Anyway there is already possible to select the action of the double click and I guessed it wouldn't hurt to add this option for the people that like it to use it this way.

And while we are at it, is it possible to open 1password with a hotkey (or promt to login if needed and then open)? ctrl + \ does not do this.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @Ocgineer,

However the auto fill feature works in my browser with the ctrl+\ hotkey.

The Auto-Type and the auto-fill feature of the browser extensions are not the same feature, we don't use your clipboard or keyboard to fill in your data with the extension whereas the Auto-type does.

Also say this worked but the website login is different from the game login, like has more fields to fill in (like region for League but does not need to login for the game) doesn't it cause problem with the fill/tab/fill/enter solution?

Ah, yea, that won't work for now. I wasn't sure if you've tried it and wanted to suggest that first. We'll look into adding more flexibility to Auto-Type for setups that uses more than the standard username/password fields.

Anyway there is already possible to select the action of the double click and I guessed it wouldn't hurt to add this option for the people that like it to use it this way.

I'll bring it up with the team and we'll see what we can do. We're trying to reduce the number of options to keep the application simple and not try to give it 100 different options to do the same thing.

And while we are at it, is it possible to open 1password with a hotkey (or promt to login if needed and then open)? ctrl + \ does not do this.

There is no shortcut to do this right now. We'll keep this in mind for the future, thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, you might find this shortcuts guide useful to have: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/keyboard-shortcuts

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

And while we are at it, is it possible to open 1password with a hotkey

1. Right-click the 1Password shortcut on your desktop, and then click Properties.
    2. In the Shortcut Properties dialog box, click the Shortcut tab.
    3. Click in the Shortcut key box, press the key on your keyboard that you want to use in combination with Ctrl+Alt (keyboard shortcuts automatically start with Ctrl+Alt), and then click OK.

If you're using a program that also has a keyboard shortcut using the same key combination as the shortcut you just created, then your shortcut might not work.

• Ocgineer
    Ocgineer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks both :)

@svondutch I have done that already but I noticed once 1Password is unlocked but minimized (be it manually or after a copy action) it does not respond anymore on the hotkey and I have to manually click the icon in the notification bar or the shortcut. That is why I asked, tough I have my auto lock on a short timer so it shouldn't hinder too much (except when a failed login occurs).

• Does it work when you increase the time before 1Password locks itself?

• Ocgineer
    Ocgineer
    Community Member
    Options

@AlexHoffmann It works now every time I press the hot key, I changed it to a different one so I guess it was conflicting with something. Although I have no idea what other program uses ctrl+alt+l. So giving the 1Password shortcut a hotkey works to open it quickly :)

• Nice @Ocgineer, that's great to hear.

To be honest, this is something that I'd love for OS X and Windows to have: A central database of keyboard shortcuts that work globally.
    Changing or adding shortcuts would become so much easier.

This discussion has been closed.