Import/Export data: why only logins

Options

I imported one my file coming from current account to login.
I noted the login tag is the unique in which I can import external data.
I have a lot of my personale date contained in a data base, like credit cards, software, currente account, private data, etc.
Why I cannot import everything: there is no technical proble, to do it, I mean, I suppose.
Could be very important for me to migrate all my database to 1st password not keeping many database.

Comments

• AlexHoffmann
    edited March 2015
    Options

In general importing data using the CSV option will only work for logins, or place all data in the login category.

We do have extensive guides about the supported import formats, which can be found here.

Depending on the application you're trying to import the data from, you might have a good chance that one of MrC's scripts will work.
    He's a forum user and and amazing person who provided his fellow 1Password users with dedicated scripts for many applications.
    You can read more about these scripts here.

I hope this helps!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options

@paladinoitaliano,

Great name, by the way.

I'll try to explain a little of why importing and exporting presents challenges.

1Password supports importing and exporting via two (insecure) plain-text data formats: CSV and 1PIF (I'll ignore a couple of other password manager-specific formats, since they are similar to CSV anyway).

The CSV "format" is very old, has no universally agreed-upon standard, and was never intended to be a all-encompassing import/export format. Although there is a recommendations specification (RFC 4180), many programs already exist that do not adhere to those suggestions. Other programs output invalid CSV (self-inconsistent, or ambiguous). And still worse, the CSV format is very limited in that it does not provide support for variations in the number of columns across records (rows), nor semantics (meaning) for the cell columns or values (the data in each cell is arbitrary and meaningless). It is not a good format for exporting data when the records vary.

1Password theoretically could output all of the data from its database into a series of records formatted such that you may think of that output as CSV; however, in doing so, it would violate the CSV "standard". A way around this would be to output each 1Password category into a separate CSV file (e.g. Logins, Credit Cards, etc). That way, the number of columns would be the same across records, and column headings could be made available. However, there's a big problem. Users may add custom fields to 1Password entries. This means, even a single category like a Credit Card could have varying numbers of, and labels for, columns in an exported CSV file! Yuck.

And there are the more problems with import.

The problems mentioned above make it difficult for you - a user - to read and use such meaningless data. It is impossible for computer programs to automatically and reliably read-in and assign that data to key fields on import, because the data is ambiguous and undefined. For example, there are no semantics (meaning) for some cell data in Row 19, Column 37.

It is not fruitful to try to use standard CSV to support data where the columns vary across records, and have it be self-identifying. At least one password manager has tried to shoehorn its data into a CSV-like format, but ultimately is is very difficult for users to make any sense of the output, it is buggy, and problematic.

CSV is simply insufficient and inadequate.

So, 1Password supports another text-export format - 1PIF. It is essentially self-describing, supports variant record length and field quantity, and can be read in any text editor. It is also a native Javascript data structure. Converting it to various formats is not difficult, and depending upon your needs, can be trivial.

Since the 1Password data is non-trivial, you really want a lossless format such as 1PIF over CSV.

I hope this helps, at least a little...

• @MrC you're amazing. Thanks for this great contribution to this forum and our community!

This discussion has been closed.