Import backup from OSX into Windows Version of 1Password

Options

Why is it not possible to import a backup made on a mac into the windows version of your program?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Because they're different formats. If you want to transfer data between systems then use the Sync options:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @C3PO,

You can't import a backup file, you can restore from a backup file but export and backup files serve two different purposes.

If you export your data from the Mac app via the 1PIF format (note, do not do this yet), you can use that to import the data into the Windows application. 1PIF files are decrypted raw data of your 1Password data, do not do this unless you need to because the export files are not encrypted nor protected with a password.

1Password on Mac has a different data structure from 1Password for Windows and because the backups are created with the application's data structure, it is not compatible with other platforms.

As Richard suggested, if you want to use the same database between Mac and Windows, you should use the sync option instead, that's the best and secure way to transfer data. You'll find this guide useful to figuring which sync option you want to use: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/sync-options

• C3PO
    C3PO
    Community Member
    Options

Well since I have a max, iPhone and a windows pc the most sync options are not useful. Only the dropbox sync would be working. But I just don't want to use dropbox. And as far as I know there are already discussions to add onecloud or something.

But since I bought the windows version I was never able to use it properly because there is just no convenient way to sync between the mentioned devices.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox is exceptionally convenient. Just because you've thrown out that option for some unspecified reason does not mean that it does not exist!

Perhaps if you could explain why Dropbox isn't suitable for your situation then we could offer some sensible advice on how to proceed.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @C3PO,

Would you be willing to use the Wi-Fi sync? You can individually sync between Mac <> iOS Wi-Fi Sync and then switch to iOS <> Windows Wi-Fi sync.

• C3PO
    C3PO
    Community Member
    Options

I don't need another account ;) I have a synology nas at home.
    I thought about Wi-Fi sync. But am I right, that this only works if I switch between iOS to OSx and then change to iOS to Windows?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Why? You have 1Password so it's not like you have a problem remembering all your accounts. ;)

I thought about Wi-Fi sync. But am I right, that this only works if I switch between iOS to OSx and then change to iOS to Windows?

Correct. Wi-fi sync only works between the desktop versions and iOS.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @C3PO,

Are you using Synology's Cloudstation? If I recall correctly, some folks are able to use Synology's CloudStation to sync their data between computers. You could try that if you want but you have to start with the Mac app first by enabling Folder Sync to store the sync file in the Cloudstation folder before you proceed to sync it to your Windows PC. Once it is synced on the PC, configure 1Password to open the file from that folder. It should work.

Please do back up your 1Password data once on each computers before doing this and often back it up if 1Password is not configured already to back up daily (this is done by default).

Correct, at the moment, it only works between a mobile device (Wi-Fi client) and a computer (Wi-Fi server). The desktop apps does not yet have the capability to sync between computers as they're not coded to behave like Wi-Fi clients.

• C3PO
    C3PO
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I will try the cloudstation

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@C3PO: Be sure to let us know how it goes! I know I am always curious about other sync solutions, and I'm sure others may appreciate hearing about our experiences as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.