1Password should unlock the other vault without the pwd for a limited period of time

Options
wombat
wombat
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello, apologies if this has already been asked. I understand that vaults on Windows work differently from vaults on iOS. On iOS I like the convenience of switching between vaults seamlessly with no password prompt. On Windows I have to enter a password every time I switch. Would it be possible to try and unlock the vault being switched to with the password used to unlock the first vault, instead of prompting for the password every time? I have two vaults with the same password, mainly for ease or organisation, and I find this behaviour rather irritating. Perhaps consider making this an option if prompting each time is considered desirable behaviour? Do you think this is possible at all? Many thanks.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @wombat,

The moment that 1Password can decrypt your vault, it immediately gets rid of your password. To do what you ask, it will require us to keep your vault password longer in the memory and/or disk (if you hibernate the PC, your memory content gets written to the disk), this is a security risk that we don't want to take.

Also, we don't recommend reusing your master passwords between vaults. While yes, both vaults are uniquely encrypted with their own encryption keys, if someone figures out your master password for one vault, it would be tried on the second vault. However, because they are using their own strong encryption keys, it is not possible for us to reuse it for a different vault because that first key does not match the vault. This is how the iOS and Mac apps work, they have a centralized database file that keeps everything and encrypts all of your vaults' decrypted keys with your primary vault's key. There is no such database on Windows for now.

You said you created the second vault for the ease of organization, can you give us more details on that? If we can understand the goal, we might be able to come up with a way to do this better in 1Password that wouldn't require a second vault.

• wombat
    wombat
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike, thank you for your reply and for explaining why it works like it does. I had not considered the security aspect of saving the password and trying it on another vault. The only reason I have a second vault is to avoid cluttering my main vault with stuff I don't use very often.

Thanks for making such a great program. I couldn't manage my digital life without it.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wombat,

Thanks for your feedback, that will help us plan the future of 1Password to simplify the organization further. It might be possible to come up with better organization methods to try to keep everything in a single vault instead of multiple vaults where you're not sharing them with anybody else.

The only reason I have a second vault is to avoid cluttering my main vault with stuff I don't use very often.

I can understand that. I have 3-4 separate vaults to try to organize 5K worth of items. One is for archiving, one is for work, one is for sharing vault with family members, and one is used for the demo and experimentation for work.

A few things you can do is take advantage of the tags and folders in 1Password to organize your vault. We do plan to implement smart folders in the Windows version but I don't have a timeframe on that one.

If you're trying to prevent the 1Password Helper in your browsers from showing unused Logins, you can edit these Logins to set the Scope: to never Display in web browser like this:

Thanks for making such a great program. I couldn't manage my digital life without it.

On behalf of the AgileBits team here, you're welcome.

• wombat
    wombat
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike. That helps. I hadn't noticed that option was there.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.