1Password hangs as it checks for an update

Options
hutt01
hutt01
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Can you assist me with a 1Password problem please, running in Windows 8.1 and the program opens and checks for new version, it “stops and just hangs” and then comes up with Not Responding, see attached screen shot. I cannot get in at all, luckily have 1Password on mini iPad so can access passwords. Can you help please? I have turned off Kaspersky Protection but problem still persists??? No access at all!

Thanks

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @hutt01,

Have you rebooted your computer to see if it would respond better? That looks like it is stuck on reading some files. The reboot sometime fixes this.

If it doesn't fix the problem, can you try this:

1. Open File Explorer, go to your Program Files (x86) > 1Password 4 folder
    2. Right-click on 1Password.exe file to select Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)
    3. Right-click on the shortcut for 1Password on the desktop and select Properties.
    4. Go to the Shortcut tab and in the target field, append -no-update at the end; like this in this screenshot
    5. Apple it and open the shortcut on the desktop, does it work without hanging? It should not prompt to update anymore.
  • hutt01
    hutt01
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Thanks that’s helped, at least after editing the properties I can access 1Password now and I also have help from support team.
    Peter

• MikeT
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @hutt01,

That's great news. I'm glad it helped. However, that's just a temporary workaround as we need to fix the hanging issue.

I'd recommend doing the following to install the latest version of 1Password:

1. Terminate 1Password by opening the main program and go to the File Menu > Exit
    2. Download and run the installer here: http://agilebits.com/downloads
    3. Reboot if it asks and open 1Password.exe from your Program Files directory, which will check for an update

Does it still hang?

Please let me know.

Email ID #: WVW-15922-248

This discussion has been closed.