Store password recipes for each Login [Planned], Filter for Symbol/Alphanumeric [Exists in Generator

Options
Eric_J_in_FL
Eric_J_in_FL
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I've already seen forum topics supporting these particular feature requests and I just wanted to add my support for the requested features ;)

1 - Symbol-Alphanumeric Character Filter/Mask for the password generator.
2 - That the recipe constructed for use with a particular login entry be remembered for that specific entry

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Eric_J_in_FL,

Thanks for sharing your votes with us!

1 - Symbol-Alphanumeric Character Filter/Mask for the password generator.

Do you mean a manual filter you set to remove specific symbols/characters off the list or do you mean an option to not use symbols or digits? We do have options in this area when you use the standard password generator with the Advanced Options expanded like in this screenshot:

2 - That the recipe constructed for use with a particular login entry be remembered for that specific entry

That's something we love to do in the future for 1Password, it can be made very useful for other type of features we want as well. I've added your vote to our tracker on this.

Improvement ID #: OPM-1530

• Eric_J_in_FL
    Eric_J_in_FL
    Community Member
    Options

Correction (Clarification) to Feature Request.

To Clarify the "Symbol-Alphanumeric Character Filter/Mask for the password generator" request. You are correct in inferring that I was meaning specific individual symbols/characters. I'm amazed at the number of sites that either exclude a number of characters/symbols or limit the available set of characters/symbols to a small subgroup (normally the symbols associated with the keyboard top row). As I would love to omit symbols altogether to make things simple (>23 characters >128 bits), alas there are sites that include the mandatory requirement to have "at least one/two" approved symbols in the password.

• MikeT
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @Eric_J_in_FL,

Just to make sure you're aware of this because many folks didn't, you can edit the password manually in the generator. Some people were pressing the generate button continuously until they find the one they want but you can just edit to remove the symbols and place in your own.

As for why this type of restriction exist in the first place, I'm thinking at least two potential reasons from our experences:

1. It might be an encoding issue on their side, some of the specific symbols can break the processing scripts but it also means they're taking in the passwords in clear view rather than hashing it first. For an example, & is usually reserved for adding an additional parameter; ONE&TWO would look like ONE and TWO instead of one single password.
    2. The other thing is that it is possible for a symbol to register differently on different computers and that could lock you out as you can't log in from all computers except for the one you used to type in the symbol from. For an example, iOS device might not parse a symbol the same way a PC would parse it.

I'll share your request with our team and we'll see what we can do about this. The UI would be interesting to figure out, do we tell users to put in the characters that is not accepted or do we present a character map to exclude and so on.

Thanks for writing back with your clarification!

• Eric_J_in_FL
    Eric_J_in_FL
    Community Member
    Options

Mike

Thanks for adding my name to the votes for this feature request. I am aware of being able to manually edit generated passwords during and after the creation phase. Thanks again

Eric

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Regarding @Eric_J_in_FL's second suggestion, one thing that would be really nice knowing the recipe with which a password was generated is that we could provide much more accurate password strength measures.

At the moment, 1Password doesn't know whether a password you have stored was created by the Strong Password Generator or by a human. So when it sees something with letters, digits, symbols, mixed case, and is, say 12, characters long it has to assume that it is something like Tr0ub3dor!23 instead of something really created at random. As a consequence, it dramatically understates the strength of our randomly generated passwords.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know that you would like this feature.

• alanthonyc
    alanthonyc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Just want to add my vote for having password recipes remembered/saved for individual logins.

Thanks!

• Thanks @alanthonyc, duly noted.

This discussion has been closed.