Does not install, Downloaded file Disappears [False positive by Norton 360 on 1Password files]

Options
theodore2020
theodore2020
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Been downloading the Windows version to try before paying (long time Roboform user). Installation fails everytime (Explorer and Chrome). The downloaded file disappears or is said to have been moved. All other downloaded apps install fine, except this one. There is no 1Password installed in my system and I dont recall doing a trial. I do have it in my iPhone 6. I hope you can help so I can proceed with importing my Roboform files for testing. If things go well, I can then pay for the iPhone 6 pro as well.

1Password Version: Windows Trial ?
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @theodore2020,

That's unusual, do you have an anti-virus program installed that might be removing 1Password automatically due to a false positive?

Can you tell us the name of your program in case we might know if it is detecting false positives. At the moment, according to the recent run on VirusTotal.com, Kaspersky and Fortinet are reporting false positives, we're trying to work with them to remove such reports.

Try also looking at the logs of your security program as well, to see if they've deleted it for you.

• theodore2020
    theodore2020
    Community Member
    Options

You are right MikeT. Norton 360's log under "resolved security risks" shows 11 quarantines of "1password-4.6.0.583.exe (WS.Reputation1) detected by Download Insight".
    I also assumed that paying at your store simply gets me the unlock or license keys. I will still need to download and install this exe file.

• theodore2020
    theodore2020
    Community Member
    Options

Here's what Norton 360 says about WS.Reputation1:
    "WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques."

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @theodore2020,

I also assumed that paying at your store simply gets me the unlock or license keys. I will still need to download and install this exe file.

No, you never need to pay to get our download files, it is always available at our downloads site here: http://agilebits.com/downloads for anyone to use.

If you'd like to get a refund because of this, we can do that. We do offer a 30-day money back promise, so if you'd like to try it for 30 days and for any reason, get your money back, just email us at support+license@agilebits.com and we'll issue a refund quickly.

You'll need to configure Norton to undo the removal and allow it before you can install it. Please also report the false positive here: https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

Here's what Norton 360 says about WS.Reputation1:

It's a false positive, it happens with every single AV program. There's no sure way of preventing false positives. That's just the usual marketing for using heuristic analysis from analyzing programs running on everyone's computers, factoring in from people who reported infections, false positives and using this to predict future infections. Unfortunately, for a legitimate program like 1Password that uses encryption, integrate with programs, runs local servers and so on, it can appear to look like a virus, thus we get hit with false positive more often than other programs.

• theodore2020
    theodore2020
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much @MikeT for answering all my questions. I appreciate this kind of support. I am now ready to proceed and test your software against my Roboform. Btw, are these posts readable by others or just me? If readable by others, please point me to how i get to the main post where this posts reside? Sorry for the basic questions. New at this format :). Thanks again!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @theodore2020,

This is our public support forum. If you'd like, you can email us at support+windows@agilebits.com to get private support.

Our main forum index is here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/

You can also click on the logo on top left of this page to head back to the main forum index.

This discussion has been closed.