Faster/Smoother Updates on Windows

Options

I really enjoy 1password and think it's a great product. And I like the fact that updates are rolling out regularly, because it means you're improving the product. But the update method on Windows is pretty painful - it's a reinstall each time, unpacking all the same assets, and generally feels pretty old-school. I've seen other apps perform updates more smoothly - Google's Picasa comes to mind, or Chrome (though I think that's because it installs outside the user directory which breaks some best-practice rules I think).

Point is, the regular updates would be less disruptive and time consuming if they were handled as an update vs. a re-install. Is that a possibility for future versions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

@jasondunn: We mean you no harm! I promise! This is a limitation of the installer we use. And while I can't say if or when we might make major changes to the update process, but we can certainly consider other options going forward, especially as we develop newer versions in the future.

And while I don't think that we'd use Google's installer (if we even could), I understand your point. 1Password for Windows really does get a lot of updates, which is a good thing, so anything we can do to streamline the update process would be great for all of us. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasondunn When our installer is in "upgrade"-mode, then we skip most of the steps in our setup wizard. We will not bother you asking questions we already have answers to (such as: where to install 1Password, and whether or not you want a program group and/or a desktop icon). While it might seem it is re-installing every file, it doesn't necessarily overwrite every file -- we do compare the version stamp. /cc @brenty

This discussion has been closed.