syncing windows computer with dropbox

Options
Adarajin
Adarajin
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have 2 computers, a Mac laptop for work, and a Windows PC for home fun. I initially installed 1Password on the Mac Laptop and am now trying to copy/sync the passwords I have stored on that computer with my Windows PC. I believe I have successfully shared the Mac files with my new dropbox account, but I cannot figure out how to retrieve them on my Windows PC. Help please.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.583
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @Adarajin,

First, install Dropbox on the PC and wait for it to finish downloading everything. Once it is done, just open 1Password on the PC, it should scan your Dropbox folder and find it for you automatically.

If not, direct 1Password to point to your .agilekeychain folder in the Dropbox folder and it should then open it for you.

I hope that helps, if not, let me know what happened.

• Adarajin
    Adarajin
    Community Member
    Options

I had to uninstall and reinstall to get it to re-auto-detect (and then had to figure out which was the appropriate repository because I accidentally created a second one while trying to sync) but I think I've gotten it fixed.

Tip for future people reading this thread with the same issue:

Install drop-box and have the repository waiting for your new installation BEFORE installing 1Password - if you don't do things in that order, uninstalling then reinstalling like I did will allow you to auto-detect again (I'm guessing that there is a way to manually run the auto-detect, but I couldn't find it - if someone wants to tell me, that would be great).

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Adarajin,

That's great, I'm glad you got it to work. Reinstalling isn't required to do this, we do try to scan the Dropbox folder on each start of 1Password. I'm surprised to hear it didn't work for you but it sounds like maybe it was stuck on reading the first one that you mentioned. Usually a reboot would fix it.

If there's anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

• Adarajin
    Adarajin
    Community Member
    Options

looking back now that it's fixed, I suspect that I was closing the window and not shutting down the entire program when I closed things, so that may have been it - it's resolved now, so all's good.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Adarajin: Ah, that makes sense! I'm sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the update though, and the additional insight.

In case it helps you or anyone else, you can also manually open a vault (in Dropbox or elsewhere) at any time in the File menu. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.