Why can't my iPad and iPhonefind my PC

Options
tomtodd
tomtodd
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I had my iPad Air2 and my iPhone 5C synced, using Wi Fi, with my PC running Windows 8.1. Now when I try to sync, both iOS devices tells me that neither a PC nor a MAC can be found. All three devices are hooked to the same network and the network is working.

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: 4.1
OS Version: iOS????
Sync Type: Wi Fi

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tomtodd: Sorry for the confusion! If anything is blocking Bonjour traffic, it will prevent your devices from 'seeing' each other and being able to communicate. Often this is firewall or 'security' software, but of course it could be any number of things with your network configuration.

It is important to remember that there is a lot that can go wrong with Wi-Fi in general (as I am sure we all know from experience!) It depends on every link in the chain, and the weakest can always cause it to break. I know you've probably tried some of these steps already, but I want to make sure that we account for every point of failure this time. Please try each of the following:

1. Reset device Wi-Fi (both devices)
    2. Restart OS (both devices)
    3. Soft-reset router (if possible)
    4. Hard-reset router
    5. Reset sync settings (both devices)
    6. Forget the Wi-Fi network and reconnect
    7. Disable software firewall
    8. Disable security software
    9. If security or firewall software turns out to be the issue, turning it back on and setting an exception for the traffic may work, provided that is an option.*

*You'll need to open UDP port 5353 for both outbound and inbound traffic, which is the port that Bonjour (Apple's zeroconfig implementation) uses for connecting available services on the network.

Keep in mind that you may need to set this up in your router as well if it is blocking traffic, but generally that won't be the case.

So a good place to start is your Windows Firewall settings:

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Go to System and Security
    3. Select Windows Firewall
    4. In the Windows Firewall window, choose "Advanced Settings"
    5. In the left pane, select "Inbound Rules" (you may see several 1Password entries)
    6. Select any with a status of "Block", select "Properties", "Allow the connection", and then click "OK"
    7. Repeat for all 1Password (or Bonjour) "Block" entries
    8. Follow the 1Password WiFi Sync instructions

You can also set up an ad-hoc connection to eliminate the router as the problem:

How to create an ad-hoc wireless network

And finally, if your Wi-Fi setup is simply not conducive to syncing, you can always use Dropbox Sync instead, which tends to work better since they handle all the heavy lifting, rather than depending on your network configuration.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• tomtodd272
    tomtodd272
    Community Member
    Options

I am still struggling with this problem.One problem I need to get fixed: I ordered the $49 upgrade, but every time I download and open it up I get a temporary file that is going to expire in a few days.

• Hi @tomtodd272,

A few things that does not sound right:

1. We do not offer any upgrades at 49$, the Windows upgrade license is 25$.
    2. We do not have files that expires, unless you meant the 1Password program opened up as a trial that will expires

1Password for Windows requires a license key to enter via the Help Menu > Enter License in 1Password. Open your email from us at support@agilebits.com and look for the license key that starts with OPW4.

If you don't see it, please email us your license information at support+windows@agilebits.com and we'll take a look at what's going on. In the email, please also include your forum name and the link to this thread, so we can connect the email to this thread.

Let me know here when you sent it, so I can let you know we got it.

• tomtodd
    tomtodd
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT I have sent the email, but all the info you asked for is not available.

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks, I found the email and will reply to you soon.

ref: VWD-37541-788

• tomtodd
    tomtodd
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Thank you Mike. I now have a registered 1Password on my PC and I can go back to work on the previous problem of not being able to fid my PC.

• That's great news, one step at the time. I'll reply to the same email about your Wi-Fi sync issue.

• tomtodd272
    tomtodd272
    Community Member
    Options

@mike I just sent an email with the diagnostics enclosed, but forgot to include the link to this discussion.

• Hi @tomtodd272,

Let's move to the email to communicate rather than talking in two separate places. I'll close this thread and email you soon.

This discussion has been closed.