After upgrade from 1.x to 4.x, updates to fields are lost, notes still present

Options

I recently upgraded from 1Password 1.x to 4.6.0.585 on a notebook running Windows 7 (notebook #1)

I noticed that any item field that I updated before the upgrade still show the old content. The note fields show instead the updated content.
For example, say that weeks before the upgrade I modified the account number field in a bank account item: now the old account number is shown.

I synchronize via Dropbox with another notebook running Windows7 and recently upgraded to 4.6.0.585 too (notebook #2), a Macbook with 1P 4.x and an iPhone with 1P 4.x.
On the iPhone I am using a vault synchronized on August 21st and data are OK. At the moment I can't check on the other devices.
After the upgrades, today I modified one item in notebook #1 but I am not able to say whether the problem was also present before the update.

I tried to restore the vault from 21st August backup (the one that displays OK on the iPhone), but the problem is still present.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Enrico

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional SP1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I synchronize via Dropbox with another notebook running Windows7 and recently upgraded to 4.6.0.585 too (notebook #2), a Macbook with 1P 4.x and an iPhone with 1P 4.x.

@EnricoT: Sorry for the confusion! I believe I understand completely. The old version(s — this includes 1Password for Mac or iOS version 3 or earlier also) do not know anything about the new custom section/field support in 1Password 4 and later, so once you've edited an item with the new version, any edits you make with the old version after that end up in the (now obsolete, due to your previous edits) legacy section of the item.

If you copy the data you want from the old version to the new one and then only use the new one(s) to make changes going forward, your data won't be subject to the limitations of the legacy version any longer. You can easily run the old version alongside the new temporarily while you migrate any affected items (since you'll be able to see the legacy data there). I hope this helps! :)

• EnricoT
    EnricoT
    Community Member
    Options

Hello
    and thank you for your answer.
    I think the problem I am facing is slightly different, but maybe the cause is the same.
    I am not able to see edits made _before the upgrade _with the old version (presumably 1.x for Windows) in the new version (possibly after the first edit of a different item made in the new version)
    Does your analysis still apply?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@EnricoT: Yes (unless we are suffering from a monumental miscommunication)! :lol:

It is definitely a confusing thing on both ends, but I'll try to make it clearer:

1. Example Item edit in 1Password for Windows v1
    • old section edited: A
    • (new section does not exist in item)

1. Example Item edit in 1Password for Windows v4
    • old section edited: B

• new section created: B

1. Example Item edit in 1Password for Windows v1
    • old section edited: C

• new section is not written by legacy app: B

1. Example Item viewed in 1Password for Windows v4
    • old section C is ignored

• new section B is read, with outdated information which was not updated when legacy app was used to edit

So, this is either going to be crystal clear now, or you'll be even more confused. In either case, let me know if this helps, and if you have any questions. I'm more than happy to try a different approach if necessary! :dizzy:

• EnricoT
    EnricoT
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, now it's clear what you mean.
    But still, this doesn't seem to be my situation, where I am quite sure that items showing outdated information were never updated by different versions of the application.
    I am explaining further, in case it could bring to a new scenario (i'm a software engineer too).
    In my case the sequence would be:
    1. Item #1 edit by 1Password for Windows v1
    2. _Other items _possibly edited in the meanwhile by 1Password for Mac v4 or 1 Password 4.x iPhone app
    3. Item #2 edit by 1Password for Windows v4
    4. Item #1 viewed in 1Password for Windows v4 shows outdated information

• Hi @EnricoT,

Do you have a lot of items in this state or just a few? What you can try is exporting them as 1PIF file and see if the old data shows up in the export file. Here's how:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, and select the item.
    2. Go to the File Menu > Export, select 1Password Interchange File (1PIF) and Selected item(s).
    3. Save it in a secure place, don't store it in any cloud folders as this file is not protected with a password or encrypted.
    4. Open the export file with Notepad, can you see both versions of the data?
  • EnricoT
    EnricoT
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    the problem seems to affect all items that have been edited in 1.x version.
    In the export file I see both versions of the data.
    Maybe I can send you the export file of a Passport item which doesn't contain sensible information so you can have a look?

• Hi @EnricoT,

No, do not send us anything. We know what the issue is, it's the same one that Brenty was talking about.

I'm surprised restoring to an early backup didn't fix this, the early one wouldn't contain both versions. What we would recommend is exporting from one backup into a clean opvault format to sync with the rest of your devices.

Before we proceed with figuring out the next step, can you confirm that your iPhone has everything saved properly and we could use it as the basis to push to a new empty vault on your computers?

• EnricoT
    EnricoT
    Community Member
    Options

Data on my iPhone were last synchronized on August 26th and show OK.

But, I tried restoring in the PC the backup of the day I made the last synchronization on the iPhone, to have the same version on the PC and the iPhone. As I said, the one on the PC still shows the problem.
    Surprisingly, the structure of edited Passport item is the same in the version of August 26th and in the current version: old data inside a {"fields":[{"k":"string",...},...],...}
    section and edited data in "regular" fields.
    So, is the iPhone app showing correctly the same data that PC app is showing wrong?

Another question: updating items in Windows 4.x version with data from the iPhone version would be a viable solution as well ?

• Hi @enricoT,

So, is the iPhone app showing correctly the same data that PC app is showing wrong?

Correct, each one is reading its own section, the PC is reading the older section and the iOS app is reading the newer section only. I suspect when you restored from the backup, the sync may have merged the data in.

Another question: updating items in Windows 4.x version with data from the iPhone version would be a viable solution as well ?

You can try but as long as both sections are not identical, the PC version would keep reading the older section.

What we can do is prevent reading both versions by switching you over to the newer OPVault format, so all of your 1Password apps will be consistent.

If you'd like to do this, please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with the link to this thread and we will explain how to convert your data to the new format.

• EnricoT
    EnricoT
    Community Member
    Options

I sent the email.

Another option could be creating new items in Windows 4.x with data from iOS app and deleting the "corrupted" ones?

• Hi @EnricoT,

We got the email and will reply there asap.

ref: MSF-31278-684

Another option could be creating new items in Windows 4.x with data from iOS app and deleting the "corrupted" ones?

If there are a lot of affected items, it would be quicker to recreate the file in the iOS app and to push it to your PC. If you want to do this manually for a few items, that's a better solution.

This discussion has been closed.