1password and 1password vault. what's the difference?

Options

I have both on my computers and wondering if I need both or how they're supposed to work together?
Really sick and tired of them both asking me every freakin' time if I want to save a password.
Wish there was a way I could TELL IT WHEN I want to save a NEW VERSION of an already saved password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password and 1 password vault

Comments

• Hi @RobinLee,

I have both on my computers and wondering if I need both or how they're supposed to work together?

1Password is the name of the product, 1Password vault is what we call your 1Password database file. 1Password loads your vault to let you view your data stored in that vault. You can have multiple vaults to separate your data, like one vault for work and one work for personal or home use. You can even create a vault for sharing between family members.

Really sick and tired of them both asking me every freakin' time if I want to save a password.

1Password only prompts when it detects the website and the password is different from the one you have saved in your 1Password vault.

In addition, if you have 1Password locked at that time, that would prevent 1Password from checking your vault data because the vault is locked or encrypted and needs you to unlock to see the data.

Wish there was a way I could TELL IT WHEN I want to save a NEW VERSION of an already saved password.

The best thing to do is unlock 1Password first before you use your browser, so that 1Password has access to your vault to prevent auto-saving an existing data.

However, you can configure 1Password to avoid the prompts while it is locked. To do this:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock and click on the Preferences button on the toolbar
    2. Go to the Auto-save dialog and check Disable auto-save when vault is locked, press OK to save this

This will prevent 1Password from prompting you while the vault is locked, this does increase the chance of 1Password not saving new Logins for you.

In addition, there is an option to disable auto-save completely in the same Auto-Save preferences if you want to handle this manually with 1Password. Here's how to save data manually next time: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

By the way, you might want to check your browser settings to not auto-fill your data, that can trigger false auto-save prompts with 1Password.

I hope this helps.

• RobinLee
    RobinLee
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the response! So I have two icons on my extension area .. one "Key" and one "keyhole" .. are they both now supposed to be there all the time?

• Hi @RobinLee,

There should only be one keyhole icon on the toolbar. Can you tell me which browser you're using and what version of 1Password extension is installed for that browseR?

• RobinLee
    RobinLee
    Community Member
    Options

The "Key" icon shows version 3.9.21.90
    The "KeyLock" shows version 4.4.3.90
    1Password version 4.6.0.586

• RobinLee
    RobinLee
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, Chrome browser Version 45.0.2454.93 m

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RobinLee: Aha! Multiple extensions! The 'key' icon is the old (version 3) extension. If you can verify that your data is safely stored in the main 1Password app, you can (and should) safely delete the v3.9.21.90 extension from Chrome. The v4.4.3.90 extension is the one you want to keep, as it uses 1Password's latest filling engine. Then you should only have a single prompt to save a new login.

Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• RobinLee
    RobinLee
    Community Member
    Options

Great news! Thank you .. I'll do just that!
    Appreciate the help and follow up!

• RobinLee
    RobinLee
    Community Member
    Options

I deleted the old extension and logged into 1Password first thing. No more redundant prompts.
    And it didn't hassle me with the stuff that auto populates .. everything working much smoother
    now.
    Thank you very much!

• On behalf of the team here, you're absolutely welcome!

• RobinLee
    RobinLee
    Community Member
    Options

Rockstars!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Aww, shucks! :blush:

Well, we wouldn't be here without the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers...so I think that at least gets you on the bill! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.