1Password 4.6 for Windows keeps crashing while using an assistive speech app (Windows-Eyes)

Options
rau47
rau47
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am using 4.6.585 on Windows 7 64-bit. I am blind and use assistive speech software from www.aisquared.com called Window-Eyes. So, this means that I use the keyboard mainly to access all the 1p features. I also have my valt in Dropbox and am successfully syncing with my iPhone 6 using iOS 8.4 and the 1p app there. I have no problems on the iOS side. I came to you guys as a Keepass user. Before, I had my keepass file in Dropbox and accessed it from both Windows an an iPhone app. So, I'm basically doing the same here. The issue is that frequently when I veiw or try to edit things in my valt, 1p from Windows crashes. I get a button to send an error report, but that also seems to hang. This can happen when I'm viewing a login, or doing an Control-E to edit the login even if I press the Cancel button. I'm wondering if some data from the Keepass import might affecting this. My valt has around 230 entries in it. My girlfriend's computer is similarly set up with Windows 7, dropbox and iOS and her valt doesn't crash. She only has around 40 entries however. Her entries were mostly imported from Keepass as well. I uninstalled 1p and reinstalled with the same problem. So, I suspect it's the valt somehow, but I don't know what. I've done editing from iOS to try and clean things up and it seems to handle things fine. So, it's pointing to Windows side only. I even tried reparing the valt and it made no difference. I tried giving as much information as I could. Please let me know if I can try something else other than what I've already done.

1Password Version: 4.6.585
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 64-bit
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:crash import keepass

Comments

• Hey @rau47,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    We're committed to making 1Password 4 for Windows completely accessible for visually impaired customers.

Your error report mimics something that users of the NVDA screen reader have reported. We're in contact with their development community to figure out if this is an issue in NVDA or a bug in 1Password. Your report just gave us the first solid clue that there's something we might be able to do to further improve compatibility with screen readers.

We would be very grateful if you could send us more details about the errors and the sequence of actions you take to provoke these issues. It will make it easier for us to reproduce the issues.

Thank you!

• rau47
    rau47
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. Thank you for responding to me. OK, Windows 7 64-bit and Window-Eyes 9.2 running. You can get a fully functional copy from www.windoweyesforoffice.com The only requirement for that is that you have Office 2010 or newer. I'm sure you do, so that will be no issue. Also, I am not using a physical mouse. Here are the steps.

1. Windows-B to focus the notification area.
    2. Right arrow until I reach 1P then Enter to open the program.
    3. I'm prompted for my master password. I type it and then press Enter.
    4. After about 5 seconds a quick status bar seems to scroll and my valt opens. I don't know if it's supposed to take this long, or if the more entries you have the longer it takes... But there it is.
    5. Now I am placed in an edit box called search.
    6. I press tab 4 times and get to a list view which says no items. That's because nothing is actually selected, and so I would expect WE (Window-Eyes) to say this.
    7. Now I need to choose an account. Sometimes my entries are alphabetical, but today they are not. Maybe that's a problem for another day. In this example I'll choose a forum called Applevis. In my specific case I press the letter A 8 times and the entry is selected.
    8. This is where it gets random. Sometimes if I edit an entry, 1p crashes. Other times all I have to do is tab to view the various fields and it crashes.
    9. So for this entry I'll press Control-E to edit the entry. WE reads Title edit, Applevis log in. Now I tab 16 times until I reach the cancel button and press space to activate it. No crash.
    10. Now I press Control-E again and this time tab to the notes field and type Applevis. Then I tab to the OK button and press Space to activate. Still no crash.
    11. OK, so deciding to choose something else to play with, I down arrow 5 times to a random entry. Remember they are not alphabetical.
    12. While down arrowing, I lose speech, and 1p stops responding. I am able to alt-tab back into my composition window to keep typing these steps, but 1p has stopped responding.
    13. I alt-tab back to 1p and now have the choice to send the error report or don't send. I press space on send error report.
    14. I pressed send error at 3:37 PM cedntral time on 9/22/15. I lost all speech from WE and had to restart the program.
    15. After restarting WE I was able to get my speech back and continue this note.
    16. I never know if my error goes through because the 1p window stopped responding is now up where the send error was. So, I don't know if it's stuck sending the error, or something has prevented it from completing the error sending.

I hope this gives you an idea of what I have to deal with daily when I use the valt. It doesn't always happen with the same steps, but somewhere between viewing entries, editing them with control-e, and then arrowing to new ones to view or edit, I get a crash.

• Hi @rau47,

Thank you very much for the link and the explanation, it was extremely helpful.

I've tested the software on one of my PCs and while I wasn't able to get 1Password to catastrophically crash, I did notice that sometimes Window Eyes would cut out and stop reading out the lines when I moved through our item list or item details to fast using the arrow keys and the TAB key.

NVDA, the open-source screen reader, exhibited a similar behaviour before causing 1Password to crash and we believe that the underlying issue is the same. We will continue to investigate this and contact aisquared to figure out what we could possibly do to improve the compatibility of 1Password with screen readers.

If you wish, we are going to keep you informed of any developments in this area.

Cheers!

• rau47
    rau47
    Community Member
    Options

Hello and thank you for the response. Yes I would like to be kept informed of any progress. Also if there are any beta builds that I can help test out that would also work. Also wesupport@aisquared.com is the email address for the window eyes support team. Their support staff and developers are very much willing to work with any vendor or software developer to ensure that things work smoothly.

• Hi @rau47,

Thanks for the information, we'll contact them via that email address and we'll update on any information or potential updates coming for 1Password.

• rau47
    rau47
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. The assistive speech software I use is called Window-Eyes. Just letting you know since it looks like the title of this thread was changed and it is not accurate.

• @rau47 - Thanks for the clarification.

This discussion has been closed.