"Secure Notes" deleted one of my important notes. How can I get it back?

Options

1Password has been malfunctioning. I use the Secure Notes function and I have been unable to type into it becuase the screen goes black. Most recently as I was trying to add to one of my notes, the whole page of notes disappeared. I need to get it back!

1Password Version: 3.8.22 (build 32010)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"Secure Notes" deleted one of my important notes. How can I get it back

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@PhilT as you're using 1P3 I'm moving your post from the 1P for Mac forum to the 1P3 legacy forum. I think the best place to start is by reading the AgileBits posts in this thread at the top of the forum.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @PhilT,

So beyond the compatibility issues between 1Password 3 for Mac and El Capitan we also need to get your Secure Note entry back. As you've seen, editing an item results in the contents becoming invisible but they are still there. Leaving edit mode should see it become visible again so is it the case that the note seemed to disappear and possibly a blank note has been saved, overwriting the contents?

Now 1Password makes backups so we should be able to easily recover the contents.

1. Launch 1Password 3 and use the menu option File > Backup Data File to backup your vault as it is right now.
    2. Use the menu option File > Restore Data File from Backup... to restore a copy of your vault prior to the incident.
    3. Copy the lost data somewhere safe.
    4. Use the menu option File > Restore Data File from Backup... to restore the backup created in step 1.
    5. Add the lost data back into your vault.

Now those steps mean I don't need to ask if anything else might have changed in your vault as it keeps everything as is, it just allows you to retrieve the one bit of data you know is missing.

After this you'll want to consider upgrading as we cover in the thread that Stephen_C linked you to. Obviously we'd much prefer people were upgrading to 1Password 5 because they wanted to rather than because they feel compelled to do so due to an OS upgrade but this is the situation as it stands.

If you have any questions or are having any problems retrieving the lost data please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.