Using Chrome on Windows laptop, cannot access account - - _A key file could not be accessed._

Options

Hello,

I'm an avid fan of 1Password, which I use daily on my Android and iOS devices. I also occasionally use a Windows device. My browser-of-choice is Chrome. I've never before encountered any problem with 1P. It has worked for me on all of these platforms. Today, however, I cannot access my account on my Windows laptop. Upon attempting to open 1P I received the A key file could not be accessed message. I performed the troubleshooting measures with Dropbox, which proved to be working properly. I then checked out the offending key data file: The file's URL is [ file:///C:/Users/ltrt/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js ].

At this point I'm not sure how to proceed. I don't know if this is a permissions problem with the encryptionKeys.js file (which I can't locate), a problem with the keychain sync, or a Chrome issue. My guess is that it's related to Chrome. (But then again, I used to be able to access 1P on my Windows laptop using Chrome, and I use Chrome daily with my other devices.)

Any guidance that you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tess

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @epimetheus,

Try this; open the main 1Password program on the PC and go to the File Menu > Repair 1Password Vault, it might be able to recreate the encryption key from the other encryption keys in your data file. After the repair, see if you can unlock the vault now.

If not, can you email us your 1Password diagnostic report, so we can look at your data folder's structure to see what else is missing beside your encryption key. Follow the instructions in this guide to do that and in the email to be sent to us, please include the link to this thread, so we can connect your email to this.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it and confirm we got it.

This discussion has been closed.