Mysterious duplicate entries that can't be deleted

Options

A while ago I started noticing a lot of duplicate entries in my vault that I didn't put there. I would see 2 or 3 entries for the same websites, with every detail (username, password, notes, url, attachments... everything) exactly duplicated. I assumed there must have been gremlins in Dropbox messing with my vault sync, so I ignored it for a little while.

Later when I had more time to do some vault cleanup, I tried to delete some of the duplicates. Some of them would delete just fine. However others would not. Here's what I did:

• Turn on the "Duplicated Passwords" feature to find all the duplicate entries quickly
  • I'd go down the list and start deleting duplicates. If a delete was successful, both duplicates would disappear from the list (because it's no longer a duplicate password). Then I'd move to the next duplicate and try to delete it.

Now here's the strange behavior for when a delete was unsuccessful:

• If I tried to delete the last duplicate in the pair, nothing would happen and the next record in the list would get highlighted.
  • If I tried to delete the first duplicate in the pair, nothing would happen and BOTH duplicates would get highlighted. As a software developer, I find that interesting, because it almost seems like there are two user-interface objects displaying the same item in the vault.

Also while I was struggling with it trying to get my deletes to work, I tried to repair the vault. It said it fixed some issues, but that wouldn't help my deletion or duplication problems. Later the next day, on another computer, I tried messing with it again. I even repaired it again. And once again it said it repaired the vault, but the repair didn't seem to do anything.

I also uninstalled the browser extensions and manually killed the 1Password process in the Task Manager, then restarted 1Password and my problems persist.

I am using the newer opvault format.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Mysterious duplicate entries that can't be deleted

Comments

• Hi @pcrock,

You said you are using OPVault format, did you convert from .agilekeychain to .opvault recently? Is it possible the duplicates came from that process of exporting from .agilekeychain to import into .opvault?

Now here's the strange behavior for when a delete was unsuccessful: If I tried to delete the last duplicate in the pair, nothing would happen and the next record in the list would get highlighted. If I tried to delete the first duplicate in the pair, nothing would happen and BOTH duplicates would get highlighted. As a software developer, I find that interesting, because it almost seems like there are two user-interface objects displaying the same item in the vault.

It is possible that it is an index bug where we have the wrong math for selecting the last item or there are two items with the same ID that we selected.

I've tried to reproduce this with the opvault that I have and I can't, it might be limited to your items only.

If you right click on the last item in the Duplicated Passwords section to select Duplicate, does that new duplicate have the same issue as the previous duplicate item not going away if you delete it?

I also uninstalled the browser extensions

There's no need to do that as the 1Password 4 extensions does not have its own copy of your data, 1Password Helper communicates the data from your 1Password data folder to the extension on demand, so there is only one copy involved and wouldn't cause duplicates.

• pcrock
    pcrock
    Community Member
    Options

I created my vault from scratch, no conversion from agilekeychain.

I tried duplicating per your instructions and it created a duplicate as expected. Just to be thorough, I tried deleting my original two logins first. Didn't work. But I was able to delete the new duplicate that I just created.

You did give me an idea though. I edited one of my duplicated logins by appending a "(2)" to the title. That worked, and the other duplicated login kept its original name. I got my hopes up and tried to delete the "(2)" login, but when I did, nothing happened and the other duplicate's title was updated so they both have "(2)" appended to them.

• That is weird that the other item got updated with the same title, that seems to be the problem. We'd like to move this to email, so we can work closely with you. Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report? This guide will explain how, please include the link to this thread in the email as well, so we can connect it to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• pcrock
    pcrock
    Community Member
    Options

Sent the email. Thank you for your help.

• We go the email and will reply as soon as we analyze the report. Thanks!

ref: XCC-21315-228

This discussion has been closed.