No virtual keyboard on Secure Desktop with Surface Pro 4 in tablet mode

Options

I set the 'Login on Secure Desktop' option on my Microsoft SurfacePro 4, and it works fine when the keyboard is attached; but when in tablet mode (keyboard detached), the Secure Desktop doesn't display the onscreen 'virtual' keyboard, meaning I can't log in!

This means that 1Password is unavailable in tablet mode. So it would appear that Secure Desktop login isn't suitable for this device. Is this a bug, or an oversight, or just hardware tech getting ahead of the 1Password software?

In other words, is there likely to be a fix?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592 (12)
Extension Version: 4.6.0.592 (Internet Explorer)
OS Version: 6.2.9200
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:secure desktop

Comments

• dlorde
    dlorde
    Community Member
    Options

Update - I now realise that if I disable the 'Unlock on Secure Desktop' option in Preferences, I can select it from the login dialog when I'm actually logging in, so I can use it when the keyboard is attached, which is better than nothing.

It would be nice to be able to use it in tablet mode too though...

• Hi @dlorde,

Right now, apps can't force the virtual keyboard to show up for you. Windows is handling this automatically and unfortunately, it can be unreliable in certain cases. We've seen this before here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/46573/onscreen-keyboard-not-opening-managed-by-the-keyboard-software-not-individual-apps

We are working on an optimized Windows Store app version of 1Password, this may work better in the tablet mode as it's optimized with Windows' built-in frameworks.

• dlorde
    dlorde
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike, it's good to know someone's thinking about it.

• MikeT
    edited November 2015
    Options

We're always thinking about improving how to make 1Password simpler to use and awesome customers like you who provides the feedback are the ones that really makes 1Password better in the long run.

By the way, if you really really want to grab a sneak peek of the Windows Store app that is not yet ready by a long stretch, you can find 1Password Alpha in the Windows Store right now.

• dlorde
    dlorde
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Alpha? Ooooh, tempting...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha, indeed! "Alpha" sounds pretty cool, I think. Just keep in mind that it's still early in development, but you might find that you like where we're going with it. Cheers! :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.