Search within a secure note?

Options

I have copied my old encrypted password doc into 1Password as a secure note. I want to know if there is a way to search within the secure note for a word -- like "Alaska" for my freq flier mileage number? -- at least until I get everything switched over to 1Password. ;-)

1Password Version: newest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7, 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:move to different directory, kb:move-vault, kb-search:search secure notes, kb-search:find items secure notes, kb:keyboard-shortcuts

Comments

• natbr
    natbr
    Community Member
    Options

I have copied my old encrypted password doc into 1Password as a secure note. I want to know if there is a way to search within the secure note for a word -- like "Alaska" for my freq flier mileage number? -- at least until I get everything switched over to 1Password. ;-)

1Password Version: newest
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 7, 10
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: kb-search:move to different directory, kb:move-vault, kb-search:search secure notes, kb-search:find items secure notes, kb:keyboard-shortcuts

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@natbr: Without knowing the specifics, I will say that you may want to consider breaking some information out into different fields — or separate items altogether. For example, if you have an item named "Alaska frequent flyer" (or similar), a search using the default setting will find that information for you quickly.

Now, it sounds like that may be something you're in the process of doing, but I find that it's easier to do it a little at a time as I need the information rather than all at once. So in this case, I'd migrate that bit of information to its own item after looking it up, so that it's easier to find in the future.

However, if you click the 'magnifying glass' icon next to the search field, you can set it to Search All Fields, which will then include the contents of your Secure Note. Just keep in mind that this will be slower since 1Password has to decrypt a lot more information to perform the search each time. I hope this helps! :)

• Hi @natbr,

To expand on Brenty's post, there is no way to search within a specific note and highlight all the results if that is what you're asking.

We know this is a popular request but at the moment, we don't have a timeframe on when this might be possible. If you really need it, what you can do is copy it back to NotePad and search there.

If you attach the doc file to the Secure Note item, rather than pasting the content into the Secure Note, you can right-click on it to open it directly with your app and search. As soon as you close 1Password, all decrypted copies of the attachment will be removed securely.

This discussion has been closed.