Question about licensing when synching Window's 10 to free ipad version

Options

I have the free version of 1password on my ipad and it appears that this will suit my needs (one vault). If I buy a windows 10 license, can I then synch the vault to my windows PC (WiFi), or do I need to also upgrade my ipad version?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LGWolfe: Great question! I'm glad you asked. 1Password for Windows is fully unlocked using the license key, but of course other platforms are a separate purchase.

1Password for iOS, however, is a free app with an in-app purchase for the Pro Features, and these pertain mainly to organization and more 'premium' options like Apple Watch.

A single vault is fully supported in the free version though, and if you're doing most of your vault management on the computer, you probably won't be bothered by the restrictions on iOS. For example, with the free version you can only create Login, Credit Card, Secure Note, and Identity items...but you can access any item types sync'd from another device. You just won't be able to create a Membership item on iOS without the Pro upgrade. And while you won't be able to navigate by category, you'll be able to access all items under, well..All Items, or by searching.

The Pro upgrade adds a lot of convenience, but especially as you're starting out much of the advanced features may not be needed. In time though, you may find that you use the iOS app more and would appreciate what the Pro upgrade offers. But I think free is a great way to start, and for many people it's all that is needed. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Note: I do want to mention, however, that 1Password for Windows can only sync one vault via Wi-Fi, so if that's what you'll be using, the Pro upgrade will not benefit you in that regard. 1Password for Windows works with a single vault at a time, though you can switch them.

This discussion has been closed.