Bug: Infinite loop on "Enter master password" during Wifi Sync [Not a bug]

Options
jdelic
jdelic
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I sync between my iPhone and my Windows 10 PC over Wifi.

1. The iPhone app correctly finds the PC and shows it in the Wifi sync list.
  2. After entering the security code, the PC opens a dialog prompting for the master password. The master password on the iPhone and PC are the same.
  3. This dialog will blindly accept any input. Now, if I enter the password correctly, the sync progresses as expected. However, if I enter a wrong password in the dialog, which happens about every second attempt as my password is >32 characters, the iPhone will open a dialog to prompt for the master password.
  4. Regardless of what I enter in the iPhone dialog, either the correct password or even the same typo, the sync will consistently fail and the iPhone will keep asking for the "master password". The PC will not prompt for the master password again during that session.
  5. The only way to break out of this loop is to: kill 1password 4 using the task manager, and force-close the 1password app on the iPhone, then restart both and reattempt the sync. Even generating and entering a new security code will not break out of this loop, the PC will never prompt for the password again even though it was wrong in the first place.

I hope this bug description helps to reproduce the bug, please ask if I can contribute anything else.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 (November update)
Sync Type: Wifi
iOS App version: 6.2.1

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @jdelic,

Are you sure it kept going into the loop with even if you enter the typo on the iOS device? Let me explain why this is strange but intentional.

In order to sync via Wi-Fi, we have to convert your current vault into a Wi-Fi sync compatible format and we ask first for the master password to encrypt this new temporary vault with. Once you enter that password, we'll encrypt this new vault, import your current vault data and then push it to your vault on your iOS device, where it needs that specific password to decrypt and import it into its local vault.

In other words, it is entirely possible for you to enter a different master password for the Wi-Fi sync that's not related to the master password you use for 1Password on either PC or iOS device. It can also change each time you do a Wi-Fi sync because as soon as you close the Wi-Fi sync dialog on PC, that temp vault is wiped from your PC.

So, what you saw is the right behavior, you created a new vault with the wrong password but you kept entering the correct master password you use for the PC and iOS vaults but it needed the wrong one for the Wi-Fi sync.

To avoid confusion, we tell people to use the same password as the PC or the iOS device.

If you want to make this simpler, I'd suggesting using a strong passpharse for the Wi-Fi sync to avoid typing it incorrectly often but easier to type on the iOS device. So, no upper case, no symbols but 6 words. Type it in on both devices and you're done.

As for the security code, it's just a way to pair and confirm you want the right device to sync with. It doesn't change how the sync works.

• By the way, I just tested this and I don't see any strange behavior you mentioned when I used the different password from the PC vault.

Can you confirm you can still make it happen with the wrong password? It might be due to something else.

This discussion has been closed.