No fingerprint unlock for keyboard?

Options
2»

Comments

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@saad nice to read that there will be a new beta this weeks. This clearly shows that you have switched to a faster release cycle.

• saad
    Options

That's the plan! :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@saad Do you have any information of whats going to be in this weeks beta?

• TWong1200
    TWong1200
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure that this has been asked in the past but why do we have to use the 1P keyboard in order to take advantage of the filling option? Many people use either the stock Google keyboard or other keyboards such as Swiftkey.

At least one your competitors did not implement it this way. Instead a pull down from the notification to fill in forms for you or a window automatically pops up for you.

• @ntimo We've added a number of improvements and bug fixes in 6.0b2. You can view the detailed list of changes on our 1Password for Android app updates page. In addition, we plan to add Fingerprint Unlock to the 1Password Keyboard in the next beta update. Stay tuned for more 1Password 6 goodness :)

• @Twong1200 That's a very good question and it's a tough one to answer in short form (as there are a number of considerations that went into the decision to base filling on a keyboard), but let me try to answer it by directing you to a couple of posts that I wrote on the subject. I discussed several of these considerations in my post introducing the 1Password Keyboard when we first added it to our beta. I also reviewed these considerations when I described how we perform filling in my DevBits post about Filling with 1Password for Android. If you haven't already, please give those a read and let me know if that helps answer your question.

• TWong1200
    TWong1200
    Community Member
    Options

@mverde Thanks for the response. I read the first link that you provided and understand your explanation. However, how is it that one of your competitors he been able to accomplish this using accessibility without the use of copy and paste? This app auto-fills logins for me in my Chrome browser as well as all apps (so far) that I've tried so far.

• @TWong1200 There are only a few ways to enter text into a text field from outside of the app that owns that text field. The keyboard and accessibility are two such ways. Just because an app uses accessibility to do filling though, it doesn't mean that they are avoiding the clipboard.

Android's accessibility framework has provided the ability to paste text from the clipboard into text fields for a while now. However, it wasn't until Lollipop was released that the accessibility framework added the ability to set the contents of a text field directly without the use of the clipboard.

I won't attempt to speak for other apps, but I would encourage you to check with the developers in question and confirm that their filling solution doesn't use the clipboard.

• kosmiq
    kosmiq
    Community Member
    Options

So since it seems to be possible to fill fields via accessibility without using clipboard that solves the security part. At least some of it.

Filling via accessibility is now my most wanted feature. Really, changing keyboard feels like more of a hassle than actually opening (switching to) 1password, search and copy. That's what I'm doing now anyway, since switching keyboard is father unintuitive.

• You're right, @kosmiq, the new accessibility features are pretty cool and might allow us to fill without needing to switch keyboards. It's something @mverde and team are looking into, and I'm really excited to see what they come up with.

With that said, please keep in mind that I and adding other things to their plate as well that we need take care of first. Hopefully they find filling via accessibility is a relatively small task and can juggle all these requests :)

This discussion has been closed.