Dropbox sync / Cannot access 1password database on other PC

Options

Hello there.
So I have set up 1password with dropbox sync at my home PC. It seems to work fine.
Today I installed dropbox on my office PC and then I installed the 1password Chrome extension.
When I click on the extension icon (on Chrome) I'm getting the message: "The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly."

And then: "Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension."

What is the "helper" ? I'm confused here. Is the helper a service I must have installed at my office PC that will link the chrome extension with the 1password database that is stored in my dropbox folder ?

Or do I have to use the 1passwordAnywhere method ? And even if I try to use the 1passwordAnywhere method, there is no "1Password.html" file within my 1password dropbox folder !

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 64bit
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• LostEchoes
    LostEchoes
    Community Member
    Options

Any solution on this ?

I even tried uninstalling 1password. I also uninstalled the Chrome extension and deleted every trace of 1password from the Dropbox folders.
    Then I restarted windows, I disabled NOD32 antivirus and Malware Bytes app, I installed again 1password and I enabled Dropbox Sync.

Still, there is no 1password.html file in the Dropbox folder.

• Hi @LostEchoes,

1Password Helper is installed along with the main 1Password program, it's a separate process running in the background on your PC to work with your browser extensions.

The most common reason for what you're seeing is that there's an interference between the browser extension in your browser and 1Password Helper. This is usually caused by an anti-malware solution, VPN, proxy, firewall or anything related to blocking local traffic on the computer.

In the future, please do not delete data just to try something, you can end up losing all of your data, especially if you're deleting data in the Dropbox folder.

First, open the main 1Password program and unlock the vault, do you see your data? Yes, now go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper.

Restart your browser and click on 1Password icon, are you still seeing the Cannot find Helper message?

For NOD32, you need to configure it to allow 1Password Helper to communicate. Here's how: https://support.1password.com/configure-eset-nod32-antivirus/

After configuring NOD32, try restarting 1Password Helper and your browser, see if it works.

If not, email us your 1Password diagnostics report and we'll see what's going on. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• LostEchoes
    LostEchoes
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the reply.
    I did what you said with Nod32 at my home PC where I have 1password installed.
    I also excluded the 1password folders (both in Program Files and My Documents) within the Malware Bytes app.
    Then I restarted 1password helper.

But let me clarify something.

At my home PC (windows 7, 64 bit) 1password seems to work fine, except that it does NOT produce the 1password.html file in the Dropbox folder.
    This issue affects my Work PC (Windows XP 32 bit - at another area / the company where I work). There, I try to find a way to access my passwords via Dropbox.

So the questions are:

1) How do I access my 1password vault on my Work PC (where of course I have not installed the 1password app).

2) Is the 1password.html file (which I'm supposed to find within the Dropbox web folder - but I don't) the only way to access my 1password vault when I am at my Work PC ?

3) Do I have to install the 1password extension also at my Work PC for this whole "remote 1password vault access via Dropbox" scenario to work correctly ? Or do I just have the option to get into my dropbox.com folder and then just open the 1password.html file and enter my password and just view the passwords ?

As you see I'm getting more and more confused here.

Thank you again.

• Hi @LostEchoes,

I forgot to mention about the 1PasswordAnywhere in the last post, sorry, I was trying to focus on your main issue first.

We're phasing out the support of 1PasswordAnywhere as it is outdated and doesn't work with the new security changes we're making. So, we've stopped including the 1Password.html file in your 1Password folder.

If you really need it, here's the copy of the 1Password.html file you can download. Extract the file to your 1Password.agilekeychain folder that's in your Dropbox folder. After that, it should work when you log in into Dropbox.com and click on 1Password.html.

However, keep in mind that it may stop working eventually on Dropbox.com as we continue to work on updating 1Password with new features.

How do I access my 1Password vault on my Work PC (where of course I have not installed the 1Password app).

At the moment, you can use 1Password.html on Dropbox but it may stop working eventually and after that, there won't be any other way to do this without having the main 1Password app installed first.

We are looking for better solutions in the near future. One of which will come via the upcoming 1Password for Teams, which is a cloud-based instance of 1Password but this would require a subscription as we're the one that'll be hosting the data and you'll be able to access your data in the web browser instead. Unlike 1PasswordAnywhere, you can make changes also.

If we can update 1PasswordAnywhere to be compatible with newer security changes, we will try to do that in the future.

Do I have to install the 1password extension also at my Work PC for this whole "remote 1password vault access via Dropbox" scenario to work correctly ? Or do I just have the option to get into my dropbox.com folder and then just open the 1Password.html file and enter my password and just view the passwords ?

No, you don't have to do that. 1PasswordAnywhere is just a read-only web app interface to your 1Password data in the Dropbox folder, it doesn't require any program or extensions. Once you click on 1Password.html, a web app will open up, you can unlock with your master password and it'll show you your data.

• LostEchoes
    LostEchoes
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the feedback and the help. I appreciate it !

• You're welcome. Let me know if there's anything else we can do to help.

This discussion has been closed.