How can I sync my vault with my new Synology DS instead of using iCloud or Dropbox?

Options

Hello, I use multiple OS (Mac, iOS, Win10) and want to sync my vault with my new Synology Diskstation. I found several manuals on the web how to sync in such configuration, but I think with the new 1password 6 version it's no longer possible, isn't it? A lot of friends also have the question as they want to use QNAP, own cloud, etc. to store their passwords on their private storage infrastructure.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Synology

Comments

• Hi @merc,

The biggest obstacle is that there isn't an accessible file system on iOS that we could use for Folder Sync, we have to build our own sync APIs for each sync services and right now, it is not high on our list to do this because they're complex to maintain and support. This is also why we're moving toward our own sync service for 1Password with the new 1Password for Family service along with 1Password for Teams.

To do what you want, you'd have to use Folder Sync between your desktops with Synology's CloudStation Sync and use one PC or Mac to serve as a Wi-Fi server for your iOS devices to sync with.

Here's how you can proceed with this:

1. First, make sure all of your computers and mobile devices are syncing to the same time server and your Synology NAS units as well. CloudStation depends on the timestamps to make sure everything is in sync.
    2. I'd suggest starting first with the Mac with this guide, put your 1Password sync file inside CloudStation folder.
    3. On the PC, open 1Password, and go to the File Menu > Open 1Password Vault to open the folder from the CloudStation folder
    4. On the Mac, use the 1Password menu > Preferences > Wi-Fi Sync to set up your vaults to sync to your iOS devices. This guide will provide more details.

I hope that helps.

• merc
    merc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT,

Thank you for your swift reply. This is exactly what I was looking for and it works.

It's a pity that Folder Sync isn't compatible with iOS...

Regards,
    merc

• That's great news, @merc.
    Thanks for letting us know.

Please tell us if we can do anything else for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for understanding. I'm glad that Mike's suggestion helped! It may be that as iOS becomes more powerful that we'll see more opportunities open up there. :)

This discussion has been closed.