Best Practices sharing items/logins

Options

Hello,
we are using the "non-team" windows version in our team and everybody has it's own vault.
Sometimes we need to share logins and send them via email.
So far so good. Now if somebody has to create a new keyword to an existing item...he will do that an send the new/update login data via email.
We then import them in each individual vault.... and I noted that I have sometimes several logins for the same site...

How can I avoid this problem? Anything the "updater" needs to know or do?

Joe

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:win/share-items, ug:win/connect-to-teams-families, ug:win/share-items, kb-search:share item, kb-search:share item win.html

Comments

• MikeT
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @joeweb,

That will happen if the item is created or modified from a different vault, which may not have the same item ID. Since the item IDs won't match, 1Password import it as a duplicate instead. In other words, the updates can only occur from the original vault.

The best practice is to share a vault file instead. 1Password lets you switch between vaults, so you could update the items in this shared vault and then copy the updates to your own personal vault. This works because the vault is the original vault and thus the item ID is the same all the time.

Plus sharing a vault file is far more secure as it is encrypted with a password, which sharing via email isn't secure.

You can see more how it works here: https://support.1password.com/dropbox-share-vault/?win

This discussion has been closed.