Problem opening Mac created vault in Windows7

Options

I just purchased a license for Mac + Windows (I had mac only). I'm having a heck of a time getting the vault to be unlocked using 1Password desktop. It isn't a password problem as I saw it unlock once but then die.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong as I'm pointing to the 1password.opvault directory for syncing.

1Password Version: 6 (mac) 4 (windows7)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows7
Sync Type: Google Drive
Referrer: kb:sync-options, ug:mac/sync-folder, kb:sync-options, kb:move-vault

Comments

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    Options

It eventually opens but is ridiculously slow. I must be doing something wrong. Please help

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    Options

I even tried using the mac 1Password to write to a new vault and use that vault with a clean install of 1Password on the Windows7 machine. Same issue. I am syncing to a folder. Works great on my Mac machines

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    Options

I spent time porting everything to a Dropbox sync. Same results :( ugh.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sonicnuance: Sorry for the trouble! Is it just the speed you're having an issue with? The decryption is a lot more resource-intensive on Windows (and the newer OPVault even more so), so the unlock process will generally be slower — especially depending on the hardware you're using. I don't quite understand why, but it also feel faster on Windows 10 compared to 7. We're going to continue to work to optimize it, but we can't reuse code from OS X there obviously so it won't be the same. Are you able to access your vault?

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@brenty thanks for the reply. The vault does open in Windows7 but it takes literally 5 minutes. Once open it is also very slow to select any stored password. This started when I updated the license and used the opvault. in the past I have used a file with "keychain" on the end of it (I believe) and the speed was fine. however that file (which was old) wasn't syncing with the vault so I removed it. Am I supposed to regenerate this file somehow?

I appreciate your fast reply

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    Options

I also tried installing and running as administrator... no difference

• MikeT
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @sonicnuance,

How old is your PC?

Can you open the main 1Password program on the PC and go to the Help Menu > Advanced > Tune 1Password for Max Performance.

Restart 1Password after this and see if it helps at all.

How many items do you have in the Logins category?

. in the past I have used a file with "keychain" on the end of it (I believe) and the speed was fine. however that file (which was old) wasn't syncing with the vault so I removed it. Am I supposed to regenerate this file somehow?

Yea, the agilekeychain format is easier for 1Password to handle on the PC but the newer and stronger OPVault is a whole different beast, it will be slower than Agile Keychain on the same PC for sure.

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT it is about two years old and isn't a very fast machine.
    Help Menu > Advanced > Tune 1Password for Max Performance is greyed out. I just emailed a diagnostics report to support via the Help menu.

I have about 120 items in the Logins category

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @sonicnuance,

Ok, I'll look at the report when it arrives here. I don't see it yet but if you already got an automatic reply from BitBot, please let me know the unique ID it gave you, so I can track it down.

Thanks!

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    Options

I just made an empty vault and saved it. Logged in and was able to run the Tune for Max performance. I'll check that in a minute

It did save an keychain file for the vault btw

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    Options

Logging into the opvault after tuning is still very slow :(

Here is the unique ID #QQU-27382-941

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @sonicnuance,

If it was grayed out, it meant it was already used for that vault. The setting changes if you use a different vault.

1Password for Windows lets you choose either .agilekeychain or OPvault format when you create a new vault (look at the Save As Type dropdown). However, on OS X, we've defaulted to OPvault for all vaults that will use Dropbox or Folder Sync.

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    Options

After logging into to the opvault I see that tune for max performance is selected. but still slow.

Is there a way to use OPvault on Mac but .agilekeychain for Windows and still be synced?

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    Options

using the empty .agilekeychain empty vault is very fast btw

• MikeT
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @sonicnuance,

No, there isn't, you'll need to switch back to agilekeychain for now until we release an update with better performance for OPVault. I don't know when this may happen but it may be a while.

Please email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with the link to this thread and we'll explain your options and how to do this.

• sonicnuance
    sonicnuance
    Community Member
    Options

Switching over to agilekeychain worked but what a pain that was.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up. I'm sorry that you've experienced performance issues with OPVault, and that switching back to AgileKeychain was difficult. While I'm glad to hear that it's working better for you now, ideally no one would have to even worry about any of that, and it's something we're working to improve going forward. Ultimately OS improvements and faster hardware will make the most difference, but over time better optimizations in 1Password will help as well. Be sure to reach out if you run into any other issues, or is you just have questions. We're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.