windows blanks screen for unlocking vault no keyboard

Options

Hello. Since one of the recent updates, the screen goes blacks out and only displays the unlock window for my vault. The problem with this new design is that my computer is also a tablet (Surface), and the keyboard is unavailable when it does that. Is there a fix or how can I prevent your software from blanking my screen for the vault password so I still have the ability to select the keyboard icon on my Windows toolbar? Thank you for your help.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 with latest updates
Sync Type: Dropbox on local computer
Referrer: forum-search:windows blanks screen for unlocking vault no keyboard

Comments

• Hi @kamin,

That sounds like you turned on Unlock on Secure Desktop, which prevents all processes including keyloggers from listening into our process while you type your master password into 1Password. That's why it looks like it is blanked out, there's only one process running on this isolated desktop, the Unlock 1Password dialog.

Unfortunately, you'll have to tap on the 'x' close button to return to the regular desktop where you can then tap on the virtual keyboard icon to type into 1Password. The virtual keyboard is a separate process and it can't run on our isolated desktop. We'll see if we can find a way to whitelist this keyboard process but whitelisting is dangerous because the said keyboard process could be modified by a malware, nullifying the protection.

If you want to disable this protection; open the main 1Password program, unlock, go to the File Menu > Preferences > Browsers and uncheck the box next to Unlock on Secure Desktop.

For the main program, don't press the Unlock on Secure Desktop if you don't want to use it.

• kamin
    kamin
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the late acknowledgement in your response. I understand. The only way to unlock is to reveal the system tray icon and cancel the black screen authentication a second time...then I have an option to use the gray screen. It is logical to provide an option that allows the keyboard program only for the millions of Windows users that don't use a physical keyboard often (many laptops are pseudo tablets these days). I understand that it is one open program that could be infected, but the current process is even more vulnerable by forcing me to have all items running just to unlock. One is better than many for the odds of not being infected. Plus, it should be my option, especially with me as a responsible user with my network security background. I will just have to disable the secure desktop option as you suggested until a solution is implemented. Thank you for your help.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @kamin,

We'll see what we can do about allowing you to whitelist a specific process such as the virtual keyboard.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

This discussion has been closed.