Re-Install

Options

I apologise in advance if my issue has already been covered but I have searched and cannot find it.

My conversion from Windows 7 to 10 has been so successful that I am now faced with a complete reinstall of my entire system - Happy Days!

If you have a primer on how to reinstall 1P please send it to me/point me towards it and ignore the rest.

Otherwise:
My 1P data is currently in a subfolder of Apps in Dropbox.
When I reinstall 1P under windows 10:
1. How do I get 1P to read my opvault and save it wherever it wants to in Dropbox? For example do I simply put the vault on my desktop and point 1P to it and 1P will then drop it back into Dropbox or what?
2. Having reinstalled 1P will the extension icon automatically appear on the tool bar in IE, (given IE is not the default browser), or do I have to do something specific?
3. I am not crazy about the file name 1P has given my vault. Can I rename it as long as I keep the suffix correct?

1Password Version: 4.6.0 Beta 605
Extension Version: na
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:reinstallation

Comments

• Hi @Andrew42,

Please forgive me, but I had to chuckle when I read about the Windows installation woes. It just sounded too familiar :)
    Now let's get into it:

1. I am not crazy about the file name 1P has given my vault. Can I rename it as long as I keep the suffix correct?

Sure thing. Simply rename the file package/folder that is in your Dropbox and keep the suffix the same.

1. Having reinstalled 1P will the extension icon automatically appear on the tool bar in IE, (given IE is not the default browser), or do I have to do something specific?

Nope. When you install 1Password, the installer automatically registers the Internet Explorer add-on. You only have to make sure that the 'Command Bar' is visible in Internet Explorer and you'll see the 1Password button.

. How do I get 1P to read my opvault and save it wherever it wants to in Dropbox? For example do I simply put the vault on my desktop and point 1P to it and 1P will then drop it back into Dropbox or what?

When you first start 1Password after installing it, you will be prompted to either create a new vault or choose an existing one. Simply point 1Password to the folder that you just renamed and you're good.

Please let us know if everything works out well!

Cheers

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much. I'll keep you posted.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

Just to expand on the renaming the vault question, you should avoid doing this if you have mobile devices in the mix. It can cause sync issues as 1Password on the mobile devices won't find the file and report an error, you would have to disable the sync and re-enable it with the renamed vault.

In certain cases, renaming a folder while in the cloud folder directory would also cause it to be re-uploaded entirely rather than doing a simple rename, which means the cloud services may throttle you for making so much changes at the same time.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you MikeT. I'll bear that in mind.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.