1Password dialog box closes Firefox "save password" popup

Options

Hey guys, 1Password is great and I use it frequently. There is one small thing that I find a little annoying, however.

When I sign up for a new account somewhere, first the Firefox popup appears asking whether I want to store the login info, then the 1Password dialog opens and closes the Firefox popup before I have a chance to click on it. If I want to save the login in Firefox, I have to log out and then log back in so I can click it.

Windows 7 and 10, Firefox 46.0.1.

Like I said, a very small issue, and I don't know if it's something that's even possible to fix, but it would be a nice QoL change.

Thanks for all that you do!

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @nonegrade,

Am I correct to understand you have Firefox's password manager enabled and 1Password's Auto-Save dialog is causing it to be dismissed when you have a new Login item to save? Did you make sure the Firefox's dialog is not behind Firefox or anything like that?

• nonegrade
    nonegrade
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, that's exactly right. I don't think it's coming up behind because it pops up just like it usually does.

This behavior also occurs if I already have the login saved in 1Password but my vault is locked. The 1Password dialog opens with "enter password to save login" and closes the Firefox popup.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nonegrade: The autosave window, like any Firefox extension dialog, is supposed to be on top. As far as I know, there's no way to change this behaviour. Is there a particular reason you need to have Firefox's password management enabled alongside 1Password? It may be best to simply disable it. And alternative is if there are specific sites where you know you don't want to use 1Password, you can disable autosave for their URL in 1Password Preferences > Autosave.

• nonegrade
    nonegrade
    Community Member
    Options

This is mostly a home use case, where I'm usually more concerned with convenience than security for the vast majority of logins, and I don't always want to type my (very long) vault password.

I figured this would be a tricky one. Actually I think just a user-configurable delay of around 2-3 seconds before the 1Password dialog opens would give me enough time to click "remember" before it's closed. But no worries, like I said it's just a minor annoyance. Thanks for your time!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @nonegrade,

In 1Password, go to the File Menu > Preferences > Auto-save, there's an option for Disable auto-save when Vault is Locked, check it and press OK. This will stop 1Password from prompting to auto-save while its database is locked.

The other option is that you can disable the auto-save completely in 1Password and let Firefox save it. That way, when you fill in with Firefox, you can trigger 1Password's save dialog manually by clicking on 1Password icon in Firefox to select Settings > Save New Login.

We wouldn't recommend the last option because you could have data in Firefox that never makes it to 1Password.

• nonegrade
    nonegrade
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike, good tips!

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.