Using 1Password extensions and 1Password Families [Not extension support ATM]

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome extension not working - stopping at 1Password helper.

Comments

• dhin60
    dhin60
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. Using Families. I sign in to the main 1Password program (Windows). If I go to the Help Menu (it shows as "Help and Support"), I get a support page - no "Restart 1Password Helper". Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dhin60: I'm sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you're using the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app from the Windows Store. Is that the case? If so, it does not have a Helper or the ability to integrate with browsers yet. But you can use the built-in browser ('globe' icon in item details) to fill logins. I hope this helps! :)

• dhin60
    dhin60
    Community Member
    Options

I am using the Chrome Windows browser, not the Windows 10 beta app (although I have that installed). Logging in using "https://xxxxx.1password.com/signin" for Families. The home page shows my vaults, etc. There is a drop down box with the family name at the upper right. In the drop down box is the "Help and Support" link that functions as I stated above. I have the 1Password extension for Chrome successfully installed and verified. I get the same "Looking for the 1Password helper" box and "Try Again" result that the OP had. Clicking the "What might be causing the problem?" link opens a page with no clear solutions. I have deleted and reinstalled the extension, as well as restarted Windows after reinstalling without success. Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @dhin60,

I've split your posts into its own thread.

The short answer is that on Windows right now, you cannot use browser extensions with your 1Password Families Account.

1Password extensions require the main 1Password program to be installed first, you cannot use the extension on its own. Right now, the browser extensions does not have any data nor an interface and it cannot connect to your 1Password Families account on its own.

The browser extensions use the 1Password Helper that's only available in 1Password 4.6 for Windows, which does not support Families. 1Password Helper is a local background program that process your 1Password vaults to communicate with the browser extensions and to present a UI for it.

We're working on implementing the Families support within 1Password Helper for the future versions of 1Password for Windows app but we don't have a timeframe on this.

• jsaaw
    jsaaw
    Community Member
    Options

This limitation really makes the family feature useless for us, as passwords for websites, which are most often needed when surfing at home on Windows machines using the browser extension, is the primary value of a family subscription for us. Are you planning to add Family functionality to the existing Windows program, which already has proven browser extension functionality and is much easier to use than the Windows 10 beta app? Or are you only planning to provide Family/browser extension functionality via the Windows 10 app? Honestly I'd hate to have to rely on using a Windows app, which are generally not very good (including 1Password's beta one), to access 1Password in the future.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Are you planning to add Family functionality to the existing Windows program, which already has proven browser extension functionality and is much easier to use than the Windows 10 beta app? Or are you only planning to provide Family/browser extension functionality via the Windows 10 app?

@jsaaw: Actually neither. We're working on the 1Password for Windows 10 app to bring browser integration to it, but it won't be "the only game in town". We have an new 1Password for Windows desktop app in the works for Windows 7 and up as well. It simply isn't a good option to tack on 1Password Teams/Families support to 1Password for Windows version 4 and call it "new". And there are a lot of great technologies we're able to take advantage of (including accessibly and resolution independence) which aren't available to us using the existing codebase.

Honestly I'd hate to have to rely on using a Windows app, which are generally not very good (including 1Password's beta one), to access 1Password in the future.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Do you not want to use a native 1Password app on Windows? You can also use 1Password.com to access your 1Password Teams/Families data.

This discussion has been closed.