Why has 1 Password Become So SLow?

Options

Hi, still loving the app but it's so darn slow. It's the not speed to unlock that some users have mentioned but it's the time it take for it to switch from the initial opening list of records to say Favorites. On my home PC which is a high-end rig, that activity takes about 10 seconds. On my work PC which is some type of Windows 7 laptop, it can take up to 30 seconds. I normally go do something else while I wait for it to load another category. Granted, I have some 700 records a few of which have attachments but it shouldn't be this slow. Thoughts?

1Password Version: 4.6
Extension Version: 0.604
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @FuriousFan,

Are you saying it is getting slower with the same vault on the same computer or has the performance remained consistent, meaning it's been slow from the beginning? Are you using OPVault or Agile Keychain?

When you switch category, we need to read the whole folder to find your category items before we load it into the interface. We don't have a list of items per category, we have one long list and we have to re-read it to filter it to a specific category for you. If you have a 700-item database, that means we have to read all 700-items to find your favorites. This is slow and especially with all items encrypted, which is much stronger in the OPVault design.

This will be better in the next version of 1Password for Windows where we'll be switching to a database structure, which allows us to do database queries instead of reading all of your items each time. This is much faster and why we've switched to this design already on OS X and iOS.

• FuriousFan
    FuriousFan
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi, no, it seems the more I added to the database, the slower it became. I'm using OPVault. What is weird is that it's instantaneous on the iOS devices. It's only the Windows versions that are slow. Good to know improvements are on the way. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, no, it seems the more I added to the database, the slower it became.

While this will definitely make an incremental difference...

I'm using OPVault.

OPVault is going to be the primary cause of the speed issues you're describing. As Mike mentioned above, OPVault has a much higher performance cost, and is noticeably slower than AgileKeychain with the same data as a result.

What is weird is that it's instantaneous on the iOS devices. It's only the Windows versions that are slow. Good to know improvements are on the way. Thanks

Indeed. 1Password for iOS was designed with this database structure in mind to support OPVault and multiple vaults from the outset. Rather than trying to tack on a bunch of major changes like this to the existing 1Password for Windows desktop app, we're working on a brand new version to be more efficient, scalable, and take advantage of other advances on Windows. We're looking forward to having an updated 1Password for Windows app too. We've already made some progress in the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app, and the desktop version is on its way as well. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.