1Password 6 for Windows cannot be started

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Yesterday I could start 1Password 6 for Windows. However after the update today Windows informs me that this App cannot be started.

Relevant details:

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [18-5-2016 21:49:47] System.ArgumentException
- Value does not fall within the expected range.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 x64
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, uninstalling and re-installing 1Password helps.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @XIII,

Thanks for letting us know, we're tracking this down to see what it could be. We did change the URL recently to point to a different location for the new updates and this might be the problem.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT May I ask why the url was changed? :pirate: That would be interesting to know

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ntimo,

We've moved it to a more load-balanced cache service instead of using our self-hosted server.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@MikeT oh ok, and may I ask why I got version 2016.5.1806d? After installing it new in my vm on my mac. And my main pc isn't showing me this update? Whats wrong?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ntimo,

As far as I know, the latest update is 2016.5.1801d. We'll investigate to see what's going on.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ntimo,

Are you sure you're not seeing as the older 2015.4.1806d, we are showing 2016.5.1801d as the latest version on our site.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT I just got an update to version 2016.5.1900d

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty May I ask for a changelog :dizzy: Was "All Vault" support added?

• @ntimo "All vaults" is being added, you can see it in vault switcher, you can see items list and sidebar showing all items from all vaults. However, item details are not working in all vaults mode yet. That comes soon :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile Yes I have seen this issue :D Can't wait for it to be fixed ;) Also a option for selecting witch vault to display in all vaults would be nice :chuffed:

• @ntimo :D it should be fixed by now in 2016.5.1901d. Thanks for heads up!

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile I am not getting the update yet :/

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited May 2016
    Options

If I remember correctly manifest file cache will expire in 5 minutes and you will receive an update.

Update: it's clearly more than 5 minutes for some reason, I'll bring network guys to look into it.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile how to delete the cache manually? :D And also where is the .exe file stored?

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited May 2016
    Options

The cache I referred is in CDN, if I'm not mistaken then the manifest file should be cached for no more than 5 minutes there. But apparently it's still serving old file, even though I've uploaded new 15 min ago.

.exe file is stored in some system generated folder with cryptic name, best way to find - right click on the process in Task Manager and select "Open file location". But it's changing with every release.

Fun benefit of ClickOnce technology - you can actually revert to the previous release.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile :( That makes me sad :D How can I check for the manifest file manually? :dizzy: (Whats the url of the file?)

Edit: Ok nice to know that thanks, will defiantly check out where my exe is :dizzy:

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited May 2016
    Options

Yeah, me too, I love to see updates coming quickly. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do from your end, it's server being too greedy to show new file to us. Our networking wizards will be waking up soon and I'm sure they will fix that glitch.

The way ClickOnce works - you run this https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/win-desktop/AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.application link, it is a manifest, that tells system where the rest of the files are. Every time we upload new release, new folder is made + manifest is updated to point to that folder. So the only dependency is for server to serve manifest fast.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile ok, nice to now that so the cdn is self hosted by Agilebits? or is it a external service you use like cloudflare?

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited May 2016
    Options

I believe it's cloudflare, but our wizards might correct me :)

self hosting is a pain imho

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@SergeyTheAgile I am still not getting the update :( Thats a very bad cdn :silenced:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ntimo,

Yea, we're still waiting for our network team to wake up and improve this. This isn't an emergency, so we don't want to wake them up and make them grumpy, we'll give them a chance to drink coffee and then nag at them. :pirate:

Like you, I am only getting the latest 1900d build, while Serg is on 1901d.

Ah, you just got to love technology.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Normally I really love technology. But now I just hate them (joke :dizzy: ) I hope the cdn will fix itself soon :+1: Do you have any news on that?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ntimo,

Check now, it should push 1901d.

We made some changes and hopefully, it'll help. We'll keep monitoring i.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@MikeT I was able to download the update but now the app does not open any more :/ I got an error report witch I will send by mail. But its in German :/

Edit: I will install the english language pack for windows and then try to reproduce the issue and hope the issue report will be in english :dizzy:

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT The ticket id is [#GGK-22959-569] I hope you can get this fixed :+1:

• Hi @ntimo,

We've received the email and will be in touch as soon as possible.

Cheers!

ref: GGK-22959-569

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ntimo,

I've replied but it appears that changing the URL in the updater isn't as simple as it can be. Uninstalling the current beta and reinstalling from the new URL may fix this.

This discussion has been closed.