How do I save the 1PW data file in the beta version?

Options

I recently recommended 1PW to my sister and she purchased the program for her Windows computer. Somehow (???) she entered all her data (spent a lot of time) in the 1PW Beta version. I've correctly installed the 1PW for Windows on her computer and I understand where the default data file is located, but how do I save the Beta version file to a new location? Where is it located? I can't find any way to determine the file location, or "Save As" function. I'm totally perplexed. I don't want to tell her she has to re-enter all the data on her newly purchased 1PW program. I thought it would be as simple as save the file to the correct location???

1Password Version: Just Purchased
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: Windows - new computer
Sync Type: Want to use DropBox but can't find data file.
Referrer: forum-search:windows beta data file location

Comments

• Hi @HACIII,

Thanks for writing in.

Please excuse my confusion here, but which version of 1Password for Windows are we talking about?
    The version from the Windows Store for Windows 10, 1Password 4 for Windows, or the new 1Password 6 for Windows beta for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1?

Has your sister signed up for a 1Password Families account? Because only then could she have entered data into the 1Password beta.
    Otherwise she's probably using the older application.

Cheers

• HACIII
    HACIII
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Alex...I was just able to get here and check things out. When I go into 1Password 4, Help, About, it says 1Password for Windows, Version 4.6.0.604. However, and here is the problem I think, she also has 1Password Beta installed and this is where she was entering her data - I am able to login to that account. She wants to save this data to the 1PW 4 for Windows, and quit using the Beta version, but I don't see how to save this anywhere (or find it for that matter). Thanks for any help you can provide - Henry.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @HACIII,

Please do not share any personal data in here, this is a public support forum. I've removed your sensitive information.

Do you guys have a Mac anywhere in the household? Right now, beside the Mac version of 1Password, there is no way to export the data from the beta versions into the older local vaults that 1Password 4 for Windows can use.

We are working on bringing the support for the 1Password extensions as fast as we can and we're also working on adding export feature for users who want to switch back to the local vaults when starting out with 1Password Families.

The two options you have right now:

1. Copy and paste between the 1Password Beta / 1Password 6 for Windows betas and 1Password 4 for Windows apps, cancel the 1Password Families account
    2. Wait until we add the export feature in the near future or implement the new browser extensions. We can give you a refund on the Windows license since the 1Password Families plan your sister is using include all supported apps on all platforms for free.

Let me know what you'd like to do.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @HACIII,

One more thing, since this isn't directly related to the betas itself, I've moved your thread to our general Windows forum.

• HACIII
    HACIII
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike, couple of additional questions:

I do have a Mac, are you saying that there is way to transfer the data via a mac, and then import the data into windows? Or are you saying she could do this only if she used the mac version of the program?

if my sister can access the Beta version does that mean she is on a monthly plan? If she is, this isn't something she wanted, and could you provide some direction as how to change it.

Thanks, Henry

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @HACIII,

I do have a Mac, are you saying that there is way to transfer the data via a mac, and then import the data into windows? Or are you saying she could do this only if she used the mac version of the program?

You can create a separate OS X account there, let your sister sign into her 1Password Account in the Mac app, create a new local vault and then move all of her Families account's content into the local vault (no exporting needed). She can then sync that vault to her PC and 1Password 4 will read that local vault.

After she's all set on the PC, trash her OS X account on your Mac.

if my sister can access the Beta version does that mean she is on a monthly plan? If she is, this isn't something she wanted, and could you provide some direction as how to change it.

She is on the 1Password Families subscription. If she didn't add any credit card information, the account will go into the read-only mode (frozen) a few days after it sends her an email about upcoming trial expiration.

You can find out the status by signing into her 1Password Account on 1Password.com, click on the account on top right to select Billing and it will give you more details.

• HACIII
    HACIII
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Mike, I am attempting your suggestion and have a question. When you say "let your sister sign into her 1Password Account in the Mac app", do you mean to login to her 1Password Families subscription via a browser, or are you saying login from the 1Password6 for the Mac application?

• HACIII
    HACIII
    Community Member
    Options

Also...I already have 1Password6 for the Mac on my Mac computer, does this complicate things?

• MikeT
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @HACIII,

When you say "let your sister sign into her 1Password Account in the Mac app", do you mean to login to her 1Password Families subscription via a browser, or are you saying login from the 1Password6 for the Mac application?

The latter, since the Mac app lets you copy items from one Families vault to the local vault that's not a part of the Families account.

Also...I already have 1Password6 for the Mac on my Mac computer, does this complicate things?

No, that's why I mentioned creating a separate OS X account for your sister, your current OS X account will not be used or touched here. You may have to install 1Password in her account before proceeding.

Once she is done and can use her 1Password vault on her PC, you can just delete her OS X account.

This discussion has been closed.