License Upgrade for 1 Password Help. Urgent please.

Options

So I had purchased 1Password 5 for Mac quite a while ago.. Now my friend came in and anyhow he has got my 1Password 5 Upgrade License Key which he put in Agile bit store in the "Upgrade" option. It says he needs to pay $32 to upgrade to the new 1Password(both for Mac and windows). Now what if he goes ahead and pays for the upgrade with his Name and Email-ID then will he get a new key for his purchase? What happens to my old key? Is the new "upgraded" key which he gets a separate one or still linked to the old key? Note that I still use the version 5 for Mac.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @sad_guy,

He'll get a separate new license in a separate order sent to his email address and it will list the license key used to upgrade. Your current license would keep working, it is used to discount a new license but not replaced by the new license.

Note, this isn't legal since he doesn't own the current license and if it gets abused, it will be blacklisted in our system.

If you'd like, you can email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com, we can blacklist your current key and send you a new key instead.

• sad_guy
    sad_guy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply.
    So after he upgrades he will get a new license key or the key will stay the same and just upgraded? Will I get any notification in my "Customer Center" that my key was upgraded? It will have no ties with my account right?
    and yes I thought about the legal stuff but I thought maybe its just family related so I can let him use?

• sad_guy
    sad_guy
    Community Member
    Options

Also what do you mean by "abused"? I'm sure he'll not leak it and also I think 1 key cannot be used to upgrade more than once right?

• MikeT
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @sad_guy,

So after he upgrades he will get a new license key or the key will stay the same and just upgraded?

It's a new key.

Will I get any notification in my "Customer Center" that my key was upgraded?

No, you won't get any notices.

It will have no ties with my account right?

It will, the new purchase will include the original license key used to upgrade. Our system will see it linked.

and yes I thought about the legal stuff but I thought maybe its just family related so I can let him use?

No, that doesn't apply to friends, it is for your family members only. Your friends would need to purchase their own licenses at full price.

I'm sure he'll not leak it and also I think 1 key cannot be used to upgrade more than once right?

The key can be used more than once.

Our system will detect if a license key has been used to purchase a lot of new licenses at the same time and if it does, it'll lock it down and no new purchases can be made. The license can be de-activated as well.

• sad_guy
    sad_guy
    Community Member
    Options

Okay thanks..the reason I'm asking is because he already did this :( without letting me know & he wasn't aware of the policies...i could ask for a blacklist but that means his $32 will go wasted? I don't know what to do....tough situation for me...As of the abuse thing..Be assured it will not be an issue. I have already asked him not to do any such thing further or share it...

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @sad_guy,

No worries, as long as he doesn't do this again, we'll let it pass. This is entirely up to you and if you'd like to discuss more, email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com with the link to this thread included.

This discussion has been closed.