how many passwords can you store?

Options

Hello. Our company is interested in getting a password manager and we are reaching out to you and several others in order to get some general information before signing up. We used to have RoboForm, which was amazing because it autofills the user name and password with one click. However, when we upgraded our computer system, RoboForm was no longer compatible and caused our system to stop working. Due to the nature of our business, we receive a high number of secure emails all day every day and we need a password program with the capacity to hold several hundred passwords and logins. We exported a hardcopy of all our user names and passwords to a spreadsheet and it contained over 300 logins. We are currently copying and pasting the logins onto the secure emails. As you can imagine, this is very time consuming. We have a couple questions about your program before we make any decisions.

1. How many passwords and user names does your program have the capacity of storing?

2. We found that some programs require an administrator to fully install the program. We do not have any IT personnel at our location, as we are not the home office. Our IT department is in one of our offices in a different state. Because of this, we would prefer that the program would not need an administrator for installation.

We look forward to hearing back from you very soon. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IE 11 Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how many passwords

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

How many passwords and user names does your program have the capacity of storing?

@dloyer: Great question! if there's an upper limit, we haven't found it yet. There are folks — both inside AgileBits and customers around the world — who have thousands of items stored. The main caveat is that search can take a hit with large vaults, but we're working to improve performance with each new version.

We found that some programs require an administrator to fully install the program. We do not have any IT personnel at our location, as we are not the home office. Our IT department is in one of our offices in a different state. Because of this, we would prefer that the program would not need an administrator for installation.

The current 1Password for Windows desktop app — version 4 — does require admin rights to install some components. This is something we're working to avoid entirely with the new version.

Something you may want to consider is 1Password Teams, our new service that makes it easy to manage, setup, and share data securely. The main caveat is that the new version that supports this on Windows 7 is in beta currently, but although it's a bit rough around the edges, it's getting better every day — and it sure beats a spreadsheet!

Another consideration is that 1Password Teams has a web interface you can use to access — and manage — your data. It's free to evaluate for 30 days, and if you decide it's a good fit for your company you'll have locked in early adopter pricing. But I suspect you'll have more questions, so I'll stop there and give you a chance. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• dloyer
    dloyer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    Thank you for getting back to me. We did have another question. Would we be able to export all of our logins from our previous password manager and import them into 1Password? Thank you!

• dloyer
    dloyer
    Community Member
    Options

Something else I forgot to ask. I will be the main user of the program. However, when I am out of the office my back-up will need access. How many people can have access to the account? Thank you.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dloyer,

Would we be able to export all of our logins from our previous password manager and import them into 1Password? Thank you!

Yes, you can export from Roboform (you'll need to downgrade to 6.9 first) and then use that export file to import into 1Password. You can find out more here: https://support.1password.com/import-roboform/

However, when I am out of the office my back-up will need access. How many people can have access to the account? Thank you.

It depends on what version of 1Password you want to use, the local standalone version of 1Password or the 1Password Teams service.

For the local standalone version, you have to give your backup the vault password to your vault but that person would have access to everything in it and you cannot revoke it later. You can also create a separate vault for each person with limited amount of data with a different vault password. You can find out more here: https://support.1password.com/share-vault/

There is no limits of how many folks can access your vault, it is up to you.

For 1Password Teams, you can revoke the permission later and you can also restrict certain permissions like reveal passwords, export and so on. You'd have total control over your data via the 1Password.com web app as well. You can see how it works here: https://support.1password.com/teams-admin-access-control/

However, 1Password Teams would require you to pay for each member that you want to invite onto your 1Password account. There is no limit to how many accounts you can have on your 1Password team either.

This discussion has been closed.